Book Review: Shipwreck Heresies by Gary Gentile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rumplesplitfins

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just finished reading “Shipwreck Heresies” by Gary Gentile, and my first thoughts are “WOW – there’s about 20 hours of my life that I’ll never get back”.
Shipwreck Heresies is self published by Gentile’s own publishing company, and from the onset, I can see why. Gentile mixes big words, with poor grammar, and basically rants and raves for 260 pages.

In his latest works, he recounts many of his greatest accomplishments, most of which were 15-20 years ago. Gentile gripes about everyone who disagrees with his version of the “unvarnished truth” wherever he can. He takes pot shots at Scubaboard, Wreck Diving Magazine, Deep Sea Detectives, Bret Gilliam, Dan Crowell, and of course his favorite targets; John Chatterton and Richie Kohler.

Gentile relives his battle against NOAA for the right to dive the USS Monitor. I find some irony in Gentile’s use of incomplete tales, to puff up his importance in the court case in which NOAA ultimately began issuing permits to dive the USS Monitor. At the end of that chapter, Gentile claims, “I won my lawsuit in late 1989. “As a result, I was awarded the first ever permit to dive on the Monitor.” He somehow neglects to mention that his wasn’t the first civilian led (non-government) expedition to the wreck in the summer of 1990. The late Rod Farb holds that distinction, Whoops?

Gentile may be best known for his outspoken “truth of the U-869” story, AKA “Shadow Divers Exposed”. It seems through most of that book, he complained that “Shadow Divers” downplayed the roles of many of the key participants in the discovery, and ultimately the identification of the U-869. More irony from Gentile comes in the form of the same kind of downplaying in his version of the 1994 expedition to the Lusitania. Reading through the 6 reprinted articles he re-publishes in “Shipwreck Heresies”; it seems that the hypocrisy is really on the other foot. The joint expedition with US and British divers is chronicled by Gentile. However, upon reading through his recount of the expedition, one would get the impression that John Chatterton and John Yurga were only there to mix nitrox for everyone? Where’s the “give credit where credit is due” that he rants about in his other works where he claims that certain people were stealing the credit? Again; the shoe of hypocrisy is firmly on the foot of Gary Gentile.

The final 70 pages of this book are devoted to more slams against “Shadow Divers” and Gentile rebuts some of the criticism posted on Scubaboard regarding his book “Shadow Divers Exposed.” Shortly into his tirade, he sites:
“(Note: because many people utilize fictitious names or monikers in correspondence and on the Internet… (snip) … as I was not able to see them for myself because I don’t subscribe to any forums or chat groups)”
** News Flash ** Scubaboard is viewable by the public, without having to be a registered user! I guess this fact must have slipped past this super sleuth?

It also appears as though he refers to a certain user who was a staunch supporter of his as, “shakehead.” I believe that upon reading through several threads on Scubaboard about SDX, that Gentile is referring incorrectly to user “TONKA97.” :shakehead: Gentile also accuses Scubaboard of censorship of any commentary that supported SDX, however, upon searching Scubaboard, I found several instances of Tonka’s praise for Gentile’s book, and his continual regurgitation of the Gentileisms expressed in SDX. Gentile also claims a conspiracy against him by Random House; the publisher of Shadow Divers, because they wouldn’t publish Shadow Divers Exposed. Perhaps if his editorial content were more cohesive with use of proper grammar and less casual tones, he may have had a better chance of being published by a real company?

Gentile devotes several pages to take pot shots at another great in diving history, Bret Gilliam. Ironically, he also devoted half of his most recent e-mail newsletter printing retractions regarding his comments about Gilliam in this book.
Gary Gentile Newsletter:
To err is human, as the saying goes. Everyone makes mistakes and I am no exception, even though I try harder than most people not to. In this newsletter I would like to put some mistakes on the record.

Bret Gilliam has found a couple of errors in Shipwreck Heresies. I wrote that he owned Diving Adventure and that the magazine went bankrupt, bilking his subscribers out of their subscriptions. He has informed me that he had no ownership interest in the magazine, that it did not go bankrupt, and that no subscribers were bilked out of their subscriptions. He has also informed me that no one was ever bilked in any of his other business ventures. My word-of-mouth information was incorrect; I apologize for any misunderstanding that these statements may have caused.

Gilliam also found two instances in the Ultimate Wreck Diving Guide in which the chemical symbol for helium was misprinted. All these corrections have been incorporated in the revised edition of Shipwreck Heresies.
It’s almost comedic that on page 200 of “Shipwreck Heresies” that Gentile spends several paragraphs, slamming Gilliam for even insinuating that Gentile could possibly make a mistake regarding the chemical symbol for Helium, which Gentile apparently published in the “Ultimate Wreck Diving Guide” as HE2.
Shipwreck Heresies:
“Because I had taken chemistry courses in both high school and college, I was well aware that oxygen and nitrogen were diatomic, while helium – a noble gas – was monatomic. With limited exceptions, the noble gases are chemically inert, and do not combine with themselves or other elements.
The chemical symbol for helium is He2 (2 being a subscript, not merely a small number as it appears in this text…)”
Huh? :confused:

I have to ask though. If he admits wrongdoing, and that his “word of mouth” information (which some may call hearsay) which he published in a book was “incorrect” – where does one find the truth from the lies in ANY of his work? I may not be an attorney, but I do watch a lot of TV, and it seems like once you discredit the witness, all of their testimony is usually disregarded. Yes?

The bitter contempt continues, “Inviting Chatterton and Kohler to speak at a diving symposium is like Jews inviting Hitler to speak at a convention held in memory of the Holocaust” – Really? Isn’t that a tad melodramatic? Gentile also makes claims that the wreck had been dived and discovered 3 years prior to the dive that is the beginning of Shadow Divers. He states that two other people had dived the wreck, and that they knew it was a sub, but just not that it was a U-Boat. Then they forgot about it for 20 years, until interviewed by Gentile?

Gentile also finds every opportunity to slam and attempt to discredit the book, and even refers to it as, “Shadow Divers perpetrated the greatest literary hoax of the century, perhaps the millennia, perhaps since Johann Gutenberg invented moveable type for his printing press.” Wow. As far as I can tell from having read Shadow Divers, it would be an indisputable fact, that until Chatterton entered the electric motor room and found the spare parts box which positively identified the U-869 as such, that all prior GUESSES as to the identity of the wreck were just that. Sure, maybe someone THOUGHT it was the U-869, but the proof (and the credit for identification) is in the pudding. This would be the spare parts box.

After finishing “Shipwreck Heresies,” I read something on Gentile’s website, in some of his own self aggrandizing thoughts on his work, “This is a book that will rile your blood.” I can say that it did, I was utterly disgusted that someone would waste the paper required to print this publication, and I would lose $25 in the process. Maybe Gary Gentile had some great accomplishments in the 1990’s, but it’s been 15 years. Rest on your laurels, instead of making some lame attempts to debunk things that don’t need debunking. Tell the whole truth about your own history, instead of claiming to tell the “unvarnished truth” about others. Live up to the standards you want everyone to adhere to!

If you’re thinking about reading Shipwreck Heresies, do yourself a favor, and save your money for a few nice jumbo rolls of Charmin.

P.S. – Gary, if you read this, and rip on me in your next book, please get my username right. :wink:

I just finished reading “Shipwreck Heresies” by Gary Gentile, and my first thoughts are “WOW – there’s about 20 hours of my life that I’ll never get back”
... I was utterly disgusted that someone would waste the paper required to print this publication, and I would lose $25 in the process.

Oh come on... When you get a GG book you know darned well what is coming (maybe that's half the fun :eyebrow:). It's like going to a Tarantino film and then complaining that there's too much violence.

Other than a few of his disciples, no one really takes his rantings seriously, IMHO. But, with that said, I did enjoy you review! :D

Thanks for the review--not that I was likely to read the book anyway. I have read enough about Gentile around here to know better. But even if I hadn't, the words "self-published" would have been enough to deter me.

I just finished reading “Shipwreck Heresies” by Gary Gentile, and my first thoughts are “WOW – there’s about 20 hours of my life that I’ll never get back”.

well it's just bathroom reading.... not like you were doing anything important in there anyway. (otherwise I'd agree with you :rofl3:)

The final 70 pages of this book are devoted to more slams against “Shadow Divers” and Gentile rebuts some of the criticism posted on Scubaboard regarding his book “Shadow Divers Exposed.” Shortly into his tirade, he sites:

“(Note: because many people utilize fictitious names or monikers in correspondence and on the Internet… (snip) … as I was not able to see them for myself because I don’t subscribe to any forums or chat groups)”
** News Flash ** Scubaboard is viewable by the public, without having to be a registered user! I guess this fact must have slipped past this super sleuth?

well I guess if this was true, he wouldn't have directly quoted/referenced people/threads/posts from Scubaboard in this book huh? Maybe he needs to proof read his material in advance next time (or have someone else do it) so he can make sure he doesn't contradict himself. :rofl3:

see proof of that below where he quoted/references people. So he's reading/lurking on SB. (we all could care less if he's reading... but just funny for him to lie that he isn't).

If you’re thinking about reading Shipwreck Heresies, do yourself a favor, and save your money for a few nice jumbo rolls of Charmin.

:rofl3: :thumb:

P.S. – Gary, if you read this, and rip on me in your next book, please get my username right. :wink:

well this is where he apparently quoted/referenced me in "Shipwreck Heresies". (page 220).

I guess I'm famous now huh? :rofl3:

Gary Gentile in Shipwreck Heresies:
According to "Mike S", someone put a Trojan virus on my website that would transfer to visitors. I was never aware of it, so either it was a glitch in his computer, something that appeared on the Internet irrelevant of my website, or someone hacked into my website in a failed attempt to disable it or to punish visitors for contacting me.

Yes.... this did happen. His website did have some form of virus/Trojan on it. It was after Scuba Divers Exposed came out, on the page for that.

I made a screen shot of it when it happened for discussion purposes......

I doubt anyone here went to the trouble of trying to infect his site... most people here could give a rats ass about him. I mean it's doubtful that his site is getting hundreds of hits a day of people wanting to buy his drivel....

More likely it was just poor technical skills on his behalf or whoever was running his website.

in case anyone is wondering, this is the original post/thread about the Trojan that Gary is referring to in his book. Trojan/Virus found on Gary Gentile's web site (from the Interview with Chatterton thread

gary-gentile-trojan.jpg

This could have been from running Google Ads and not having them automatically screened for viruses/trojans. The perps actually bought ads through Adsense to promulgate this malware. By 2006, most browsers were able to spot and block this. This was cyber egg on Google's face and they kept it more hushed than it should have been. That some ads were still getting away with it through 2008 was kind of funny in an ironic sense. Through aggressive heuristics, ScubaBoard never ran any of these infected ads.

I had actually thought of buying a copy of "Shadow Divers Exposed" until I read the description on Amazon. I think there's a certain delicious irony, however, that Gentile was crewing on the Seeker after parting ways with Bielenda.

It's sad when someone who is a legend in their own right feels the need to try and tarnish the reputation of others who have also accomplished things most of can only dream of.

rumplesplitfins:

When I pick up a book that's as bad as you describe this one, I stop reading when I come to that conclusion. I do not press ahead and waste 20 hours. Why didn't you just put the book down?

I have never met GG, but a lot of the stuff you read suggests he is a bit of a world champion when it comes to holding a grudge. I have never read it, but someone told me once that in the Lusitania Controversies he took time out to rip his ex-wife?

Personally, I think he needs to get back to doing what he does best: an update of the Technical Diving Handbook and the Advanced Wreck Diving Handbook would be very welcome. But I think I have heard everything there is to say about the disputes over U-869 and the USS Monitor.

I decided not buy a copy of either book and contribute any financial gains to him.

Rhone Man:
Personally, I think he needs to get back to doing what he does best: an update of the Technical Diving Handbook and the Advanced Wreck Diving Handbook would be very welcome. But I think I have heard everything there is to say about the disputes over U-869 and the USS Monitor

Excellent post.

But I guess it's hard for him to overcome the bitterness that has overwhelmed him being a legend in his own mind....

When I pick up a book that's as bad as you describe this one, I stop reading when I come to that conclusion. I do not press ahead and waste 20 hours. Why didn't you just put the book down?
Dude, think of all the train wrecks people spend hours reading RIGHT HERE! :D

Back
Top Bottom