Book Review: Shipwreck Heresies by Gary Gentile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok this is an old thread, but I just read the book and found it to be quite entertaining. The writing might not be nobel prize material, but then again I have read and enjoyed worse books, and at least the topic of this one interests me. This, could of course be due to english not being my first language :)

I do not know enough about the truth regarding the "Shadow Divers" to comment on this particular subject. But in general i would say that;
If someone knows that the information claimed to be true by others, is in fact misleading or even false. I would say that it is fine if that someone tried to set the record straight.
Again - I cannot say what is correct in this specific case, but I do get the feeling that many of the people who are critizing his work are doing so without much more knowledge about the truth than I have.

You get what you get out of any book.... because I didn't like it (and yes, he wouldn't get the Nobel prize for literature for this one) doesn't mean other people won't like something....it's all a matter of taste.

As far as the true story?!?! We've rehashed this many times here, and the bottom line is that the majority tends to think that the original "Shadow Divers" book is as close to the truth as you are going to get (albeit a little sensationalized with some literary license)

Chatterton, and Kohler identified the wreck with tangible evidence, as opposed to Gary and his claims that the wreck was already identified several years earlier, no one had solid proof, (parts box) and we can only think that it was pure speculation on his "sources" part. And that's not to say that the person that dived it previously, and said "It's the U-869" wasn't correct, (good guess) but they didn't provide something that proved it...simply enough we had speculation vs. solid evidence.:idk:

But, I suggest getting a copy of 'Shadow Diver's, and a used copy of 'Shadow Divers Exposed', read both, and formulate your own opinions...

Back
Top Bottom