Book Review: "The Silent World" J. Cousteau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The original Shark Week had many very educational stuff. But apparently the shark bite shows got all the ratings, so they dropped anything actually educational in lieu of "When Sharks Attack!!" etc.

Unfortunately it seems very true that educational material about the oceans doesn't sell well in today's media market. I know several of us underwater video producers who have heard from our potential market on cable that our products are "too educational." What a sad commentary.

This book was certainly one factor in my first use of SCUBA back in 1961. It was an eye opener in my youth as was the film. Yes, there is much they didn't know back then, especially about human impacts on the environment. By the way, I still do deep dives on air, but gave up walking around in my Speedo about 35 years ago!

:DI wore a speedo on vacation a couple of years ago, and before long I was approached by a representative of the company who offerd me money to never wear their product in public again:rofl3:

Ok on the serious side, I've never read the book but I will now. My early influence on diveing was the T.V. shows. I would sit for hours and go over equipment lists and prices, truying to talk my mom into letting me learn to dive.... She was ah, less than supportive you could say.

I did a book report on The Silent World when I was in the 5th or 6th grade. This was proabably just after I had GI Joe in the bathtub in his full scuba gear. Fighting sharks and bad guys was really tough in all that bubble bath.

Seems like it was just yesterday not 45 years ago. Guess it's time to reread the book.

Back
Top Bottom