Booked! 14 days in heaven...again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coztick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
3rd year in a row at the iberostar...can't wait...arrive Dec 10 for 19+ dives. thinking of trying a different dive op for some more challenging sites. Dressels was fantastic for learning but I love a challenge. any thoughts on sites to visit... ops to try?

I don't know what your skill level or comfort is but if it is good, don't miss Punta Sur Sur (What we call the south part of the Punta Sur Reef) south of the Devil's Throat. That should be on everyones "bucket list". I am sure any good dive op could take you there after seeing your skill level on the first day. Others will hopefully chime in but to me that is the best of the best for the accomplished recreational diver. If not that, almost any Palancar site will ring your bells, as well as Santa Rosa Wall and…..

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

Thank you Dave. I have read many great reviews of Aldora. I have 33 dives from Yukab to Palancar caves on 2 previous trips so I get I'm still "new" but my skills and comfort level are fueled by my new found passion of diving. I'm sure I'm ready for anything within rec. limits, so I will try to arrange Punta Sur Sur early. It is all so breathtaking! It is my understanding that dives as deep as Devils Throat get pretty short with 1 80cu tank. (I think that's all Dressels offers.) It doesn't make sense to me to get there and not take enough air to get maximum BT. so I will look into my dive op. options.

Thanks again, Dave!

I know how you feel! We just booked a dive trip to the Caymans (Grand Cayman and Little Cayman) in Oct/Nov and it is such a relief to have reservations and something to look forward to; but we "were forced" to reserve 15 nights instead of 14 because we couldn't get flights on our original return date - such a hardship! :D

Now we just have to hope for good health and good weather!

Have fun at the Iberostar!

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy! Awesome to see the excitement doesn't fade after 500+ dives...I wish you both good health, great weather and lots of friendly critters to dive with!
cheers,from Kevin

Thanks Kathy! Awesome to see the excitement doesn't fade after 500+ dives...I wish you both good health, great weather and lots of friendly critters to dive with! cheers,from Kevin

You too! And I like the fact that you also go for two weeks like us. The airfare is the same but with 2 weeks you really get a chance to relax, experience, and enjoy!

If I were in your skill/desire window, I would put Aldora Divers at the top of the list.

Devil's Throat is a good suggestion if you can dive it during times when currents are not strong and there are not a lot of boats full of divers all wanting in the throat. While deep (120 feet) by Coz first-dive standards, it's almost a bounce-dive (down, in, up, out at about 70'), it's interesting and with good dive masters it would not be beyond you.

I got certified on Coz and I've got most of my 100+ dives on Coz and I dearly love the place for lots of reasons (dive and non-dive reasons). My favorite dives are the 2nd dives because they are shallow, where all the vida happen.

I'm sure I'm ready for anything within rec. limits, so I will try to arrange Punta Sur Sur early. It is all so breathtaking! It is my understanding that dives as deep as Devils Throat get pretty short with 1 80cu tank. (I think that's all Dressels offers.) It doesn't make sense to me to get there and not take enough air to get maximum BT. so I will look into my dive op. options.

it was an absolutely PERFECT day today with no wind and flat, flat seas. So we took the opportunity to do Punta Sur sur. While we on Living Underwater's boat were the first ones on the site, several other boats pulled up minutes later with the same idea in mind given the glorious conditions. The DM and I used LP steel 95s and the remaining divers had 120s. We got in the water ahead of the other boats and when we surfaced, those ones had already left. We all surfaced with lots of air remaining...it was our no deco time that ended the dive. My computer shows max depth was 111 feet, average depth 60 feet and time was 54 minutes (including an, ahem, slightly extended safety stop). There was very little current but we did pass by Devil's Throat on our ascent and I could see some divers were there.

after 1 1/2 hour surface interval, our next dive was to one of my favs, San Francisco Wall. 88 minutes, 65 feet max depth with an average of 45 feet on 32%. Zero current. The place reminds me of one of those computer screen savers where you have fish moving about continuously.

If if you really want bang for your bottom time buck, think about getting nitrox certified and especially if you are able to extend tour bottom time with the extra air that a 120 affords. I didn't get anywhere close to my NDL on my second dive.

For us it's 14days or bust! 3 months until we have our trip of a lifetime. 3 days in Brisbane before 10 days Bilikiki then 7 days Uepi. Got a Hero4 and it will get a workout.

Next trip to Coz it's going to be in the Aldora villas, dropped by to take a look on our last trip and Loved the rooms and vibe!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dear Wetwelder,

Sounds like you could be in for the VERY BEST of Cozumel. That is Punta Sur Sur on Nitrox 32. Most days we have groups who are all on NItrox 32 and then do the Devil's Throat (at 117 ft) as a grand finale before ascending . That to me is the best of the best of ANYWHERE. IF you don't have nitrox cert yet it is easy to get. You can start on line at PADI, then a simple finish in Cozumel, and the next day do the REAL Thing here.

The Punta Sur Sur dive on 32 Nitrox, after the Devil's Throat, usually ends at a safety stop above the Punta Sur main reef, watching the bubbles flow through the reef. Then it's not uncommon to see Eagle Rays or sharks swimming by which is not a bad safety stop experience.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom