Booked Impulse Flights To Syd, Now What Do I Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to be aware of is that in July for the South Island, weather could potentially have a larger influence that during the Summer or Autumn. I love the South Island, but there are mountain passes that do regularly get closed during the winter months. Depending on the route you take in the South Island there could be three or four alpine passes. The good thing is they are normally only closed overnight or for part of a day, but it does. have the potential to slow things down. Make sure if you opt for the South Island your schedule isn't incredibly tight.

I'd say head up to Cairns if you want the tropical water thing. We did a two day 5 dive trip with Coral Sea Dreaming, a small liveaboard sailing yacht (not much sailing, lots of motoring, but still nice to have the option). Was very reasonably priced and decent outfit. Not flash, but enjoyable.

Otherwise just stay in Sydney (and surrounds). It's great!

Sydney non-diving activities:
  • A day in the CBD including a look around the Opera House, a walk over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, museums, galleries.
  • A day (or two) at the beaches. It will be winter, so not hot, but can still be warm. May get days of up to 25 degrees C if you're lucky, and never cooler than about 16 c daytime max. So beaches still worth at least looking at, if not swimming in too long. There are lots of lovely beaches either the "Northern Beaches" including Manly, or the "Eastern Suburbs" beaches including the famous Bondi. Both sets of beaches have gorgeous coastal walks that go from beach to beach. The ferry from the CBD to Manly is lovely on its own.
  • A couple of days (or more) in the Blue Mountains, about 100km west of sydney (2 hrs drive or train). Beautiful deep valleys, full of eucalyptus forests, waterfalls etc. Will be cold up there overnight (possibly freezing) but days good temperatures for hiking (10 - 15 c).
  • A couple or few days in Jervis Bay, south of Sydney (three hours on a train). A stunning huge bay with the most beautiful white sand beaches, national parks, lots of kangaroos etc. Out of season could easily book a house cheaply with a fireplace. Can also do really good but cold diving there. Water temps likely around 14-16 degrees C.
  • Canberra (national capital) is a few hours drive or bus away, and is cold but quite lovely in some ways. Good museums and outdoor areas.
  • Plus all sorts of usual city tour items - galleries, museums, shopping strips, markets, sports grounds etc.

Sydney diving:
  • There are lots of great dive sites that can be done as shore dives, meaning only pay for gear rental. Lots of operations will guide you here for little or even free, or post again on Scubaboard and ask nicely and someone may well take you for a dive (like me!). Range of sites, in sheltered or ocean waters, none really risky or too deep. Some where you'd have to work really hard to get lost!
  • There are also good boat dive sites, and lots of operations do day trips. About 90 minutes north of Sydney there's a wreck - HMAS Adelaide - that was sunk a few years ago and is meant to be good (haven't done it myself). Another good one is Magic Point, where there is a cave full of grey nurse sharks (big and scary looking, but totally tame).
  • The things to look out for on Sydney dives are - wobbegong and port jackson sharks (small, friendly, congregate in large numbers during mating season in winter), lots of nudibranchs, schools of small to medium fish, lots of sea horses in some spots, some anglerfish, possibly most exciting of all are the weedy sea dragons, which can be pretty reliably seen in a couple of known spots - think stretched extra large extra colourful seahorses. (google it!)
  • That time of year water temps will be 15-18 degrees C. Probably decent vis - typically 10-15m or so if it hasn't been raining.

And finally, yes, Australia is expensive. But there are always cheap options. Good meals can be found for $20 a head. Plenty of local bars with great craft beer for $8 each. Cheap take-away fish and chips from $10 each. (All Australian dollars) It can be done without blowing your budget too greatly. And Sydney is first and foremost a city of natural beauty, so indulge in that - it's free!

(Please tell Sydney Tourism Board to give me my commission)

@cam_snapper I might have to see if you'll take me shore diving when I'm in Sydney in Oct. :D

Great recommendations for Sydney...I'm jotting this down as you type it! Jervis Bay was not on my radar but now it is; WOW! I'm running off to Australia on my own after talking about going with my DB/SO; naturally, he is a little miffed about it so I'll have to save something to visit with him when I go back again. Thanks for sharing!

Another option would be to drive up from Sydney to Brisbane. Dive south west rocks and Byron bay on the way. Possibly head over to stradbroke island from
Brisbane for more diving.

I'm so grateful for the wealth of info here! Thank you all for taking the time to post. I tend to over-stuff days - some of my family members need a lot of rest and relaxation after a "vacation" with me. So today I'm starting to think about "only" seeing Sydney and a surrounding area. Spend a few days in Sydney, then drive north and stay in a timeshare in Port Macquarie. Squeeze in a train trip somehow (blue mountains and waterfalls, yes please!). Pay much more attention to low airfare possibilities so I can make a better planned trip to Cairns and New Zealand in the future.

I'm sure what ever you choose to do, you'll have a great time!
BTW Australia is NZ's west island:cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom