Boot on top of a wetsuit or a wetsuit on top of the boot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always have the wetsuit over the boots. Water does go in the boots, but this makes no difference while diving. After the dive, I do not notice nay particular "sloshing" about when I walk. When I take the boots off, there is water in them which I gt rid off over the side. FYI: the boots are 5 mm, wetsuit is 3 mm and the diving is warm water.

reasons for each....

boots over suit can cause them to "balloon" - it isn't life threatening, but can be annoying...

suit over boots can cause a less than ideal seal, flushing water out - isn't life threatening, but can be annoying...

which is your preference?

I tuck my wetsuit over boots. Keeps the boots from ballooning with water.

RH and Cos: Would you please explain what you mean by "ballooning"? How would it balloon? The water pressure inside the boots should be about the same as that outside the boots. What kind of boots are you wearing anyway? :)

Wetsuit over boots always, don't like the balloon boots when I get out of the water.

The water drains out the suit leg into the boots ballooning them.

"Suit-Over-Boot" because:

1. It keeps sand out of your boots on shore dives.
2. It helps keep the boot zippers closed
3. The pee-drainage thing
4. It looks cooler.... Boot Over Suit looks much like tucking your pants leg inside your sock... unless of course you are going for that look....

Best wishes.

RH and Cos: Would you please explain what you mean by "ballooning"? How would it balloon? The water pressure inside the boots should be about the same as that outside the boots. What kind of boots are you wearing anyway? :)

just regular side zip crap they sell for diving wet.... though I rarely ever use them anymore as i usually dive dry or use Warmers Boots.

try a fast kick, try climbing a ladder, etc. with the boots on the outside The top of the boots (if you have skinny legs/ankles) catches water and "flaps"... I really notice it with neoprene under-socks when I'm layering to fit a set of fins I use mostly with a DS.

My WS has leg zips and dry cuffs. It needs to go inside the boots, or it leaks, and also won't zip closed...

Suit over boots.

Would you please explain what you mean by "ballooning"? How would it balloon? The water pressure inside the boots should be about the same as that outside the boots. What kind of boots are you wearing anyway? :)

I believe it was referring to when you get out of the water and the water inside your suit drains into your boots filling them to capacity. Usually a few steps on dry land will force enough water out to be comfortable (IMHO).

Back to the pee thing. I used to use an "external" catheter, but it got to be too much bother. Now I just slide the hose down a leg. This raises the suit a bit to allow for faster flow out. Has to be the right size/strength of hose. Haven't noticed that leg any colder due to this. In fact at certain times that leg is briefly warmer....And hey ladies--works equally well for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom