Booze, Drugs, And Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL... it's either a family blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it. Every man in my family has been made a grandfather between the ages of 38-40 for the last 5 generations. We "hit the ground running" I suppose!!

She is one of the best things in my life that I never knew I needed.
This is completely off topic and inappropriate to be sharing positive things in your life.

We are talking stupid sheeet like drugs alcohol and diving! :)

This is completely off topic and inappropriate to be sharing positive things in your life.

We are talking stupid sheeet like drugs alcohol and diving! :)
Been there, done that, got the t shirt!

Nine pages of don't dive impaired. Nice

Hi, my name is Craig. I am a functioning alcoholic and un-apologetic pot-head. I will be drinking martinis and smoking weed on the hill-tops of Koh Tao in a week. I dive sober. Everything else, not so much.

This is the confessions thread, right?
Well, I can't find any martinis yet but it's only been half a day. I am hopeful.

You know, I read the title of this thread, and thought it would be a discussion about my sordid youth, working offshore in the Gulf mid 1970's. 14 days on, 7 off, living in a crash pad in Harvey.

Diving is pure and healthy, but it is a lot of work. Someone can sit on their couch and blast themselves into another reality for a short while. I'm not condoning drugs / alcohol at all, but having experienced my fair share of just about anything you can imagine under the sun and then some, I can tell you that's why people start. It's an escape. You think it's an easy escape, but in the end it's all fake.

Now being in my later 30's none of that stuff is even a thought, and if given a choice any day of the week I would choose camping, hanging with my kids or my new granddaughter, diving or any of the other real meaningful life experiences I can share with my family. It might be more work, but it's real. I love my life today, I don't need "beer googles" to "enhance" anything.

And you're not old @Eric Sedletzky, I've seen the stuff you post. The adventures you have would run circles around these video game playing kids out there these days!!

I thought I read Jerry switch drugs out for diving, if I remember correctly he detoxed on heroin while diving in the Carribean somewhere? That sounds awful to me, but at least he got off of it.
Jerry quit drugs when he got into diving.
I airbrushed some artwork onto Billy Kruetzman’s drums which he and Mickey Hart played during their drum solo. The artwork was all underwater scenery based on a diving expedition he and several other divers took on a private sail yacht down to some islands off Mexico (I can’t pronounce them). They shot a movie about it on location. He gave me a copy. It’s pretty incredible. Wes Skiles was involved.
So, Billy is the one that got Jerry into diving. Billy used to live up in Mendocino and also loved to kayak the coast. The Dead used to record in Marin County so they’re all from around here. Jerry claimed diving was better than any acid trip or any drug he’d ever used.
I got to hang out backstage at the last Dead concert at Shoreline back in the 90’s thanks to Billy Bull Sh!t (Kreutzman’s roadie) I remember being backstage and seeing a wall of dudes all about 6’9” with leather jackets on that had some writing on the backs, “Hells Angels” I think it said? They seemed like nice fellows.
I was standing about 6 feet away from Jerry right before they were going to take the stage, never got to say hi to him, but I did get to see Billy and Mickey beat the hell out if those drums with my artwork on them from behind the stage in Billy’s little cubicle, that was a trip! Pretty cool.
And before anyone asks, no I was not F’d up on something!

Jerry quit drugs when he got into diving.
I airbrushed some artwork onto Billy Kruetzman’s drums which he and Mickey Hart played during their drum solo. The artwork was all underwater scenery based on a diving expedition he and several other divers took on a private sail yacht down to some islands off Mexico (I can’t pronounce them). They shot a movie about it on location. He gave me a copy. It’s pretty incredible. Wes Skiles was involved.
So, Billy is the one that got Jerry into diving. Billy used to live up in Mendocino and also loved to kayak the coast. The Dead used to record in Marin County so they’re all from around here. Jerry claimed diving was better than any acid trip or any drug he’d ever used.
I got to hang out backstage at the last Dead concert at Shoreline back in the 90’s thanks to Billy Bull Sh!t (Kreutzman’s roadie) I remember being backstage and seeing a wall of dudes all about 6’9” with leather jackets on that had isome writing on the backs, “Hells Angels” I think it said? They seemed like nice fellows.
I was standing about 6 feet away from Jerry right before they were going to take the stage, never got to say hi to him, but I did get to see Billy and Mickey beat the hell out if those drums with my artwork on them from behind the stage in Billy’s little cubicle, that was a trip! Pretty cool.
And before anyone asks, no I was not F’d up on something!
In the mid 90s I was diving Kona HI and after our boat docked and Jerry was sitting on a log waiting for his ride. Later some one on the boat coming in has pointed out Jerry on a boat swim step. Sorry to say the boat Jerry was on had to be towed in, so I guess maybe the rescheduling a later ride meant he had extra time. Couple people were talking with him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom