Bored, self quarantined, how many still use snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'm bored out my mind. Can't binge watch much more TV. Question, other than snorkeling, how many still use a snorkel when diving? For me, it's probably been ten years or more since I've attached my snorkel to my mask strap while diving. Just haven't seen a need for it. Actual if I'm honest I don't even know where it is.

Anyone still use there's when diving?

Saved my life once when a great white bit my hoses and left me tankless...nah, just telling stories ‘cause I am bored.

I always carry this: https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Lung-Sport-Nautilus-Snorkel/dp/B07CJVC1CT
Stays attached to my bp at all times. I don't even notice it most of the time but it is within easy reach if needed and, it doesn't take up an space in my one and only pocket!

In just over 100 dives, I have only ever taken it out to clean it but I figure it only takes that one time and it could literally save your life. As the saying goes... better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! Of course, one could get carried away living by that saying but seriously, if you don't even notice it's there... why not have it??

What's so hard about turning your head to breathe? I was a swimmer before I was a diver so I've got thousands of miles of swimming without a snorkel including a couple hundred in oceans and lakes.

I don't even take a snorkel when I'm snorkeling since I'm underwater a lot more than I'm on the surface.

Stays attached to my bp at all times. I don't even notice it most of the time but it is within easy reach if needed and, it doesn't take up an space in my one and only pocket!

I've never put hands on that style, but have you ever had the snorkel pop out of its holder unexpectedly? Or is it pretty secure in there? I will probably scoop up one of those, or the version that Piranha carries (quite a bit cheaper than AL's version), but wanted to ask first.

I've never put hands on that style, but have you ever had the snorkel pop out of its holder unexpectedly? Or is it pretty secure in there? I will probably scoop up one of those, or the version that Piranha carries (quite a bit cheaper than AL's version), but wanted to ask first.
It's pretty firmly in there, so I would be surprised it it could 'pop out'.
I do keep mine in my one and only pocket though, so it isn't a concern.

OK, I'm bored out my mind. Can't binge watch much more TV. Question, other than snorkeling, how many still use a snorkel when diving? For me, it's probably been ten years or more since I've attached my snorkel to my mask strap while diving. Just haven't seen a need for it. Actual if I'm honest I don't even know where it is.

Anyone still use there's when diving?

Okay, the monthly snorkel thread. Nope, never use one, maybe in a blue moon I might use one for a surface swim when beach diving but even there it is rare because I usually swim on my back so I can look for boats and navigate. I think the last time I used a snorkel it was my roll up stowaway snorkel for my SDI Solo Diver class. It was required equipment. I keep it in my roller bag but it never makes it to the boat bag.

Back in the 80s there were many PADI ops that would force feed snorkels to me, no snorkel, no dive. Pretty fervent anti-snorkel as a result, plus, they do not look cool with my mask on my forehead, ruins the balance. PADI is all about snorkels only because it is another high profit item to sell to a new diver.

N

I've had mine attached that way for probably 50 dives or so. It's always still there at the end of the dive. It takes some effort to take it out for rinsing so I'm pretty confident it's not going anywhere unless I mean for it to.

I wear one when diving. Always. I didn't use to and one time I was diving in a strong current and came up too far from the boat without a snorkel and had to swim back against the current. My tank reserves were gone quickly (strenuous activity) and I still had a ways to go. That was enough to ensure I always have a snorkel.

I only use a snorkel when the muddy water is too deep.
rugged-ridge-hi-low-mount-snorkel-system-jl-jt-17756.31-installed.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom