• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bottles n' Crocks n' Pipes - Oh My!

Discussion in 'Underwater Treasures' started by DeepSeaDan, Dec 29, 2020.

1. DeepSeaDan

DeepSeaDan Public Safety Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Just a few pics of some of my favourite finds - enjoy:

Very rare gravitating stopper style soda bottle, circa 1870

IMG_3230.jpeg

Round-bottom soda bottle, circa 1880
    IMG_4471.jpeg

Merchant's medicine bottle, Buffalo, N.Y., circa 1880

IMG_5521.jpeg

An assortment of clay smoking pipes & stems

IMG_6145.jpeg

Possible cream pitcher, likely made in Staffordshire England, in the style known as "Pearlware" - circa 1820
    IMG_5982.jpeg

Very rare "Anodyne Oil" medicine bottle, Buffalo, N.Y., pontiled, circa 1870

IMG_5519.jpeg

2. Ghost95

Ghost95 Contributor

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That is awesome! I want to come scavenge there.

Barnaby'sDad and DeepSeaDan like this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Those are fabulous.

Barnaby'sDad and DeepSeaDan like this.
  4. Bubblesong

Bubblesong ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    May I ask how deep under the muck you find these things? I’m guessing these perfect items are not laying above muck in plain site?

5. DeepSeaDan

Hi Bubblesong,

I've found items on natural bottom, under logs, on top of logs, on top of rock piles, under rock piles, shoulder-deep into the muck, lying on top of sand - you name it, I've found something there!

The ones I've found on top of poured rock ( road builders and others like to pour their waste rock into / onto river banks; the cascading rock pour must push a few bottles up into the water column, where they then float back down and settle amongst the broken rock ), I consider those bottles to be extremely lucky finds - the Merchants bottle pictured was on top of newly / recently poured rock.

The relative cleanliness of the bottles is a function of the water and bottom conditions; for example, the J Broad bottle pictured was found laying on a small patch of sand, next to the ballast rock of a very old dock, in 3.5' of water! The surrounding lake bottom is very soft and goo-like; had the bottle been tossed into that stuff, it would have been forever lost. The Montreal round-bottom bottle was found in 2' of semi-solid goo, in about 15' of water. Bottles can be hidden in sand; river currents can move sand, sometimes revealing bottles - those bottles are almost perfectly clean. Most that I find require a lot of elbow grease, detergents and bottle brushes to get clean.

DSD

6. calabash digger

calabash digger ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Very nice finds!! The rivers are always changing...Dive there one day nothing the next week after a storm hit a homerun.

DeepSeaDan likes this.
  7. DeepSeaDan

Hello CD!

Just to prove your point - this siphon wasn't "there" on my previous dive, then the area suffered an intense flash-flood. The bottom topography was completely changed on my next dive; where once was nothing, now stood a jumble of large logs, brush and other debris - on top of it all, was this siphon! I'd only ever found small pieces of one previously, how this one survived we'll never know, but I was very pleased it did!

IMG_5801.jpeg

I look forward to seeing more of your finds - those onion bottles you found were awesome!

Regards,
    DSD

shoredivr and calabash digger like this.
  8. mattherat

mattherat Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    They are some amazing finds! Thank you for sharing!

DeepSeaDan likes this.
  9. shoredivr

shoredivr Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Are these From the St Lawrence, or some of the smaller rivers to the north? What a great collection! More please

10. DeepSeaDan

The St. Lawrence has to be the greatest depository of old glass & much more, as it's such a historical waterway, but things can be found in most lakes and rivers - anywhere that people have settled. The reality is, it takes a lot of diving and very patient searching to be rewarded. Great finds are the exception, much the same as metal detecting. I'm lucky in that I just enjoy being underwater, so every hunt, regardless of the "day's catch", is wonderful time spent.

DSD