Bottom Feeder Web Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve:
IJust a recommendation as well...some shops which have been mentioned don't have such great reputations. Are all shops in the area going to be included or is it going to work on a recommendation principle?
It is my intention to list all shops in the area with no recommendation for any shop. There will be a notice suggesting the reader ask (or search) for user comments on the mid Atlantic forum.

I am just looking to build a page or two of information. I have no interest in building a job for myself. I have more of those than I can keep up with now.

Hey DrSteve, whats up with Dive Quarters. I just got done with OW cert. there and had no problems. Ive heard nothing real good about Lynnhaven and even tho Chesapeake got good reviews from everyone I talked to it was too much of a hassle with traffic to make it my local shop, and my neighbor had good things to say about Dive Quarters. Just wondering as I know everyone has their opinion.

RAD Diver:
Hey DrSteve, whats up with Dive Quarters.
The first part of this is based on first hand observation. The second story is annecdotal but from a source I personally believe.

First part. Last summer I was going to dive at Rawlings with a guy from Scuba Board after he completed his AOW cert. We arranged to meet at 12 and he would be diving by 2. At 2pm...he had yet to do his dives. The instructor was too busy eating pringles. He kept blowing my buddy-to-be off (along with the other 3 guys in the course). Eventually he signed off on their cards based on the following:
1. A deep dive to 30 feet. 2 of the bozos hadn't bothered to bring anything other than 3mm shorties. Technically a deep dive as we know is deeper than you have gone before or 60+ feet (for an adult). Go figure.
2. These guys swam their own triangle course for the navigation exercise.
The instructors location? He couldn't even see the lake! It's up to my buddy to fight this one - but as far as I am concerned he was advanced standard so he only lost on the formal testing.

The second one was an instructor from DQ who either moved to another shop or did some part-time instructing for them. Again at Lake Rawlings, he was seen enough times to cause a complaint to the shop, that he was drunk out of his skull while camping over. OK everyone can chose to do what they want. But...would you want to complete your OW cert with an instructor who did that on Saturday night? He was given the option to take the instructors exams at the shop to prove his knowledge...but he left...wonder why?

My personal beef with DQ is their prices are way higher than everywhere else, the staff is most unhelpful and don't seem to give a damn.

As for Chesapeake Bay...good teaching, good shop (although I purchase mostly through the internet), but as you said damned awkward to get to.

Thanks for reply. The instructor we had was waiting on us most of the time at Lake Rawlings, but I do think the prices are high. Joe (I think the owner) took plenty of time(2 hrs) going over equip.with me & the wife & with a full outfitting gave a good price break.Which my wife said was very comparable to prices on the internet.She is a good shopper.Well I hope to meet & dive with you on some occasion & thanks for your honest opinion.

RAD Diver:
Thanks for reply. The instructor we had was waiting on us most of the time at Lake Rawlings

The instructor makes all the difference IMO. It doesn't matter whether it is MIT or Berkely if the instruction is bad!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom