Bottom Feeder Web Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke:

I've Taken my PADI courses (OW, AOW, Nitrox, Rescue) at Dive Connections in Charlottesville, VA and I have to say that everyone that works there and all of the instructors have a passion for diving and also for bringing new divers into the sport. They have kids programs as well as advanced courses. They are a 5 STAR PADI center and because the region is fairly small, they really promote an atmosphere of comaraderie. They sponsor the local dive club, The Sea Devils", (www.seadevildivers.com) which is very active and sponsors trips to sites off the coast of VA and NC as well as International.

Bluewater Builder:
They sponsor the local dive club, The Sea Devils", (www.seadevildivers.com) which is very active and sponsors trips to sites off the coast of VA and NC as well as International.

I think it is great that we have dive clubs. But what I would realy like is a dive club that is independant (as Don knows). I'm fed up of seeing the same dive boat plugged and people even being asked why they are not diving on that boat. Getting asked by the shop owner where equipment was purchased and then lecturerd on the plight of the local dive shop is not my idea of fun. I want to be able to talk about my dive trips past and future without any chance of a "talk" from people involved with the shop. For this reason (among others) I have decided if I go DiveCon that I won't do it with this shop.

OK I'll stop ranting now!

Lynnhaven Dive Center VA Beach
A short while ago I supported this store. No more! We booked a trip this weekend which was cancelled due to incelement weather (no fault given to anyone apart from the Hurricane coming up the coast). However, LDS *refused* to give a refund of the dive they cancelled 24h in advance citing "not their policy." This left me with 3 boat tickets and I helpfully explained that they worked with me or I used them up and never used their store again and told everyone in the area. I received a refund on one of the tickets.

Is this the behaviour of a reputable business? I don't think so! Flying Fish doesn't take your money and issue a credit if the dive is called. Divers Unlimited doesn't keep your money. So I've got 1 dive trip pending with LDS and it will be my last! I'm sticking with Divers Unlimited!

Have done certs in OW AOW and specialties, will be starting Rescue=> divemaster, Scubaventures is run by a 30(+-) year veteran of diving who has trained many a diver and instructor alike, he is a plethora of knowledge in the sport and a very easy going yet thorough instructor who really loves the sport and has many a tale to tell as well. The business has recently evolved into a mobile one of sorts, with a dive shop/training center -in- a -trailer kind of animal. Pretty much full service operation: trips, gear, training, schoolroom, air fills, inspection, repairs, rentals, and other things any fish could want pretty much. Although, at the present time, sales are not done at Mt. Storm due to "political" reasons the business is conducted via phone, web traffic and "walk-ins" at pools and such. The owner is fair honest and friendly to be sure.

DrSteve:
Lynnhaven Dive Center VA Beach
A short while ago I supported this store. No more! We booked a trip this weekend which was cancelled due to incelement weather (no fault given to anyone apart from the Hurricane coming up the coast). However, LDS *refused* to give a refund of the dive they cancelled 24h in advance citing "not their policy." This left me with 3 boat tickets and I helpfully explained that they worked with me or I used them up and never used their store again and told everyone in the area. I received a refund on one of the tickets.

Is this the behaviour of a reputable business? I don't think so! Flying Fish doesn't take your money and issue a credit if the dive is called. Divers Unlimited doesn't keep your money. So I've got 1 dive trip pending with LDS and it will be my last! I'm sticking with Divers Unlimited!
Every dive shop in this area is having an interesting time of it these days. Between some recent fatalities, a bent diver, an oxtox incident, and "Open Water", bookings are off.

I am sorry to see a shop apparently taking it out on the customer. I just can not see the wisdom in holding a customer's money like that.

We have been taking a beating on no-shows, to the point of requiring deposits, but we are hanging in there. All of this will pass. Maybe Lynnhaven will see the light.

What ever happened to this website?
Do you guys need some help? I don't have much free time, but I could get something posted. It'd be better than what's there now.

d@n:
What ever happened to this website?
Do you guys need some help? I don't have much free time, but I could get something posted. It'd be better than what's there now.
I fiddled with it a little, but new job requirements overtook me.

I had envisioned just a list of dive shops and locations with links.

Some wanted a ranking system, which I oppose. I would prefer opinions be expressed in this forum and the webpage just be a "yellow pages" for reference.

Most of the information is in this thread, some of it already obsolete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom