Bottom Scratcher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I need to get out there again. Those boats going out to Catalina were a great cheap weekend getting out of Phoenix. Leave town early on Friday, head out Saturday morning. Dive Saturday and Sunday morning. Get back and drive home Sunday evening. Camping on a boat. Maybe later this summer.

Sounds like there is just a little refresh going on. The only thing that scared me on the Bottom Scratcher were the heads. But the food was good and the little tender made for some good support.

@MaxBottomtime

A big thank you for stepping up and answering for @Ken Kurtis.

So sad about the Golden Doubloon-but there is a beginning,a middle and end to everything and every story- so much dive history in that boat
Originally a WW11 Mine Sweeper it was purchased in the 1950s by Mel Fisher who owned a dive shop on Catalina Avenue in Redondo Beach. Mel immediately converted to a combination dive charter boat and a treasure hunting boat.​

In the spring and summer of 1960 Mel organized a Caribbean treasure hunt With Eddie Tsumura at they helm they loaded to boat with treasure hunters, equipment and explosives and headed to the Panama Canal -- It was there that the exposition feel apart - It was discovered the boat had undeclared explosives on board - a no no even then ! Both Eddie as the Capitan and Mel the owner were in serious trouble and were retained along with the boat..

The paying treasure hunters were all released and allowed to return to the US, I was in Acapulco in the summer of 1960 diving with the Arnold Brothers on the Rio del Plata - the boat full of 1940 Cadillac's and ran in to several of the disillusioned treasure hunters attempting to get back to the US.. It was 1960s and the airlines were still attempting to get organized-- The ex president of Mexico Miguel Alleman had insured there was an airport so he could fly to Hollywood at every opportunity.- (a story for another time)-

Upon return to San Pedro Eddie purchased the boat and ran it until he sold to Greg and his investors- now it is only memories of a dwindling few

I always enjoyed Eddie and the Doubloon -- "twice as slow but twice the fun" according to Eddie and he was so correct !

For 14 years, 1970 to 1984 I taught Advanced SCUBA at Orange Coast college. One of the last events of the 18 week class was a boat trip on the Doubloon - What a trip ! The culinary arts department sent 2-3 students to prepare all the food - I have never experienced so much exotic delicious food in a two day period in my life. It was the kindof food one would expect to pay top dollar at a 5 star restaurant - yet it was prepared and severed on a dive boat .

If his grades were acceptable- and they always were - My son Sam IV would accompany me on the trip. Little did we realize at he time he would become a deck hand on the Golden Doubloon while at Long Beach State college, He certainly has some interesting stories about those years.

The Golden Doubloon- gone but not forgotten- a part of our family diving heritage

Sam Miller, III
NAUI Instructor # A27

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_6-49-18.png
    upload_2018-7-2_6-49-18.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 80
@Ken Kurtis
* Is the Golden Doubloon still afloat in the back bay?
* Is Greg Elliot still above ground?
* Asante ??? charter boat ? What ?
What Max said.

How many dive charter boats are in the current fleet ?
Not enough. First of all, there's no central landing like there was in the heyday of the 80s and 90s when everyone (90% anyhow) was at 22nd Street Landing. Now they're spread out all over. Top of my head, about 10-12 in the LA area (at four different landings), 5-ish in Ventura/Santa Barbara, 1 in San Diego. We used to have 20+ based in LA alone. Also, the boats today - with a few exceptions - tend to be smaller in terms of passenger load. the days of everyone carrying 30-35 passengers AND everyone being full are long gone.

Interesting how in a short period of 60 plus years how the dive charter boat business has grown.
I'm going with "shrunk" rather than "grown". Mirrors the overall dive industry which certifies fewer and fewer people each year. Sad.

All day trip to Catalina was a whopping big $5.00 ![/quote}
And gas was a dime-a-gallon but I think we're both starting to show our age here Sam

:)

- Ken

Ken is correct about the local dive boat demise. When I began working at Marina Dive and Sport at 22nd Street Landing the dock was full of dive and fishing boats. The Atlantis had to dock at Cabrillo Marina because there was no room for more boats at 22nd Street. There were a few boats that would take 30+ divers out on a regular basis. The Bold Contender (Pacific Star), Encore and Charisma (Great Escape) were popular as were the smaller boats like the Magician, Westerly, Golden Doubloon and Maverick. As the economy began to slow, we began sharing charters with Ken. Even then it was hard to fill half a boat. Soon many in the fleet moved to Long Beach when the owners of 22nd Street Landing refused to upgrade the dock despite rising fees. Some boats like the Encore and Westerly were sold as fishing charters. Newer, smaller boats began taking the place of the large fleet. Even now it is sometimes hard to fill a six pack.

Of course, the more things change, the more they stay the same. I've heard that the Westerly will soon be back in the dive business. The Pacific Star returned from Monterey a few years ago and is still at it, working out of Los Angeles Harbor. I went out on the Giant Stride last month and it is a very nice six pack boat, well laid out and has a ladder and swimstep that is easy to climb, even in rough seas.

I stopped by 22nd Street Landing last week and it looks great. A new marina on the east side of the channel really makes the old place shine. Perhaps the local dive industry will pick up soon and the next heyday of local dive boat operations will come.

I think it's just the many divers of the baby boomer generation preferring to remain active in fair weather tropical and easier Scuba diving locations & environments, compared to the temperate cold water and at times physically challenging and heavy conditions of SoCal diving, or otherwise withdrawing from the sport altogether because of worsening health or worse -passing away.

I talked to Kevin Bell last Friday night as he just brought Bottom Scratcher back down to 22nd St Landing from Ventura where he had some routine yard work done on the hull -she's got a new stern swim step/platform and wider transom openings for divers to step through, as well as some new transmission & prop drive modifications. . . Still not ready yet for dive charters.

Ha! I remember the bagpipes! I was told he played it to get the divers off the boat and into the water.

This is an old thread I know. However anyone looking for the information on the Bottom Scratcher. Here is the YouTube video I did on it it today 12-10-2020

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom