BOV with MAV and/or ADV - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or it’s personal preference. Keeping on top of issues that necessitate bailing out, and using a BOV, are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, read my other posts in this thread and you'll understand why I believe a bov is a solution to a problem being solved late.

I'll give you that. But, the trade-off is mouth fatigue on the way in with high flow, high speed scooter.

depends on chin rests or not. I've heard from most of them that the bov's with the chin rests are more comfortable. I know I had some wicked jaw fatigue after scootering this weekend with my DSV. I have TMJ so I'm prone to it anyway, but I had my left hand supporting the DSV when I was on speed 2/3 on my UV26 or Viper. Top speed on a Magnus or equivalent would have been very painful

Some of are using a bellows CL...my loop has fallen off hangers like that before. I like the footprint and look of the 3D hanger.
I'm using a standard BC hanger for a loop hanger. Put the loop over the center of the hanger and the lungs hang off the nubs on the bottom. Works really well

View attachment 474482

I'll give you that. But, the trade-off is mouth fatigue on the way in with high flow, high speed scooter.
Put a gag strap on it. Works amazing to: 1) keep it put with no effort 2) the flange keeps water from pushing into the corners of your lips and 3) if you were to actually tox your survival chances are greater. For me both scootering and otherwise the gag strap was a triple win.

Put a gag strap on it. Works amazing to: 1) keep it put with no effort 2) the flange keeps water from pushing into the corners of your lips and 3) if you were to actually tox your survival chances are greater. For me both scootering and otherwise the gag strap was a triple win.

I dove a gag strap in the beginning with a Revo. I hated that thing. It's personal preference. I've taught my student's both ways. I don't care either way. But it's a talking point while I'm laid up from surgery.

I hated mine at first too. And out of the water for prebreathes etc it actually makes me gag for some weird reason. in water its faboo

Interesting discussion... I read @kensuf's comment with interest. I already dive a Shrimp, but cleaning things up further would be nice.

I don't think I'd want to have all of that extra stuff on my face. I already go to MAV's for dil and O2 addition, I don't necessarily think that having that on my face would be any easier than it already is. It's an interesting concept, but MAV's are pretty well tried and true. I'm curious to see how the longevity of the Divesoft unit plays out. I'm not sure there are enough out there with a ton of hours on them like the other options on the market. It will be interesting to see if there are any issues that pop up once they get some miles on them.

Where does the O2 add go? Exhale side? Inhale side? I'd be wary if it was putting O2 straight into the loop without some time to circulate. Could be squirrely if it stuck on.

One of the reasons I don't like the rEvo is because of the ADV. On the unit I try-dived it was practically useless. Coupled with no ability to shut it down, it just gave me the wiggles. The Meg plunger was annoying, but functional, the SF2 and Pelagian pretty much just take me thinking that I need to add dil and it happens.

My SF2 is a DSV only. It will get a Shrimp eventually. My Pelagian has it's own little BOV. My Meg had a DSV, put a Shrimp on it, never went back. I'm a fan of the BOV and don't find scootering or long dives with it to be annoying. I don't like flippy DSV/BOV's, I'm a turny turny kinda guy (hence the Shrimp and not the ISC BOV on my Meg), and the stiffness of the Divesoft I played with put me off. I like an ADV I can shut off, don't mind MAV's on my chest, and unless I'm diving backgas bailout (pair of LP50's) my BOV is plumbed offboard via QC6. 3L onboard is dil and inflation only. Way too small an amount to trust as bailout for a deep dive. LP50's it's not an issue. I've got more gas than most people carry as first bailout anyway.

Typically in a cave, I'm sidemounting two bailouts, and any other gas gets dropped. Left side is bungee'd, right side has long hose for donation. It's the same gas because I don't trust a single bailout to be my only source in the event of a serious CO2 hit. In Mexico, that's usually just two tins of 32%, with 50% and O2 if there's some deco planned, those get dropped.

@JohnnyC stock setup is dil mav right before the mushroom valve on the inhale side, and o2 mav right after the mushroom valve on the exhale side. I.e. literally as long of a path to get to your mouth as there could be. Leaking on would be functionally no different than a mav in a counterlung or exhale t-piece and obviously much longer than the o2 add on the meg in the inhale lung.

@JohnnyC stock setup is dil mav right before the mushroom valve on the inhale side, and o2 mav right after the mushroom valve on the exhale side. I.e. literally as long of a path to get to your mouth as there could be. Leaking on would be functionally no different than a mav in a counterlung or exhale t-piece and obviously much longer than the o2 add on the meg in the inhale lung.

Good to hear! Another good reason to do a proper stereo check!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom