BOW as AI student - my report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
BOW Course

I’m participating in a BOW as the first part of my Assisting Instructor course. Since the Board has discussed training requirements and methods, I’ll share my experiences with you. The certification agency is NASE.

Day 1, Friday night: Came early to find out who’s the instructor and what was expected of me. I was very excided about this course. The instructor turned out to be another woman; Heidi. First day is taking care of paperwork. Presentations from the students and from the instructor and me, checking of the questionnaire on diving theory all students are required to fill out prior to the theory lessons establishing that the home study has been done. A bit of theory is thought. Equipment lessons are done by going over to the shop and look at all the niffy stuff. Then we find pool equipment for the students. There’s a problems with a small student. Even the smallest BCD is too large for her – no fix! She’ll have to dive with that.

The students:

A: Female, some 20 years, small body, boyfriend is newly certified diver (BOW and AOW).
B: Male, 12 years, overweight, snorkel diving knowledge.

Day 2, Saturday: The morning is theory again. I’m allowed and encouraged to contribute to the lessons and do some drawings of gas mixtures and the PVT theory on the whiteboard to give a second presentation of the material. I brought my logbook and tables calculations were partially made with my real life numbers. I also showed them actual dive profiles from the printouts of my electronic logbook (Cobra computer). The first part of the test. I’m also doing it to check my knowledge/memory.

In the pool in the afternoon, the Instructor would demonstrate and I would then watch and if necessary assist the other student. I wasn’t expecting to be allowed to do this in the fist course but I really enjoyed it.

My performance evaluation for this day reads perfect expect overview of the situation and the students needs, which wasn’t evaluated due to the situation with only to students in a two meter deep pool.

Day 3, Sunday: The last of the theory and the final part of the test. We’re now getting to know each other and are discussing diving and fishes etc. in the breaks. During the introduction to other diving activities (off course including some advertising for more courses) I mention the activities in which I participate outside the LSD offering. This is taken as a Positive!! The instructor later remark on my enthusiasm for local diving and diving as such as an advantage.

The pool lessons in the afternoon are really fun. On the bottom I’m told to demonstrate the fin pivot as the instructor can’t without ankle weights. That’s really confident – especially as I never tried the mouth inflation method before! But everything goes all right. And to see at least one student smiling from ear to ear as the floating sensation from the pivot exercise is realised is a big reward. Later we have quite some time to do the floating experience. One student gets it almost immediately the other needs some attention. Finally I tell him at the surface to assume a horizontal body position, as he’s swimming himself out of the water. And it works!! These students will of course loos it again in the open water, as they will also struggle with a drysuit. But I’m sure they will regain it and now they KNOW how buoyancy feels.

I must also add that the students do all the exercises with hood and 3-finger gloves, as that is the attire in the open water at the moment (app. 4°C warm).

My evaluation from this day reads A-OK perfect to all points. I’m happy, proud, hungry and tired. And I can’t remember when I last had so much fun.

I’ll be back with the next instalment after next weekend and the open water dives.

Hi!

I'm doing just about the same with PADI AI, the only difference is that we work with "fake" students.

I'll look forward to your reports, as they might help with my course as well.

Doing the theory exam on Saturday :scared:

chiara once bubbled...
Doing the theory exam on Saturday :scared:

Good luck. I took mine last weekend. Scored a 95, which was acceptable.

The most important thing to remembers is that all of the answers are in the Instructor's manual if you look hard enough.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
The most important thing to remembers is that all of the answers are in the Instructor's manual if you look hard enough.

I know, my fears are with physiology, despite having scored decently for DM.

Sounds like you have discovered how fun it can be to be an AI for the first time. I really like it too, but lately I've been really busy ;-0

Good luck on the tests :D =-) :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom