BP/W buckle...right hand release?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedadepths

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So in my OW training, we were always taught to orient your weight belt so the buckle is "right hand release".

The typical BP/W is set up with the buckle on the left, also making it RHR. I understand that sometimes the buckle is supposed to keep the canister light in place, but it would make more sense to me to put the buckle on the right so that it is left hand release and opposes the weight belt buckle. This way, in an emergency, you wouldn't accidentally release your BP/W instead of the weight belt.

Explanations?

thats the way i run my set up-buckle on right-left hand release
for exactly the reasons you stated
right way or wrong way?
hell,i don't know! smart way,i think!!
have fun
yaeg

I put my BP/W buckle on the RHS making it a left hand release for two reasons. I have a small pocket on the right hand waist strap that I don't want to slide off every time I undo my buckle, and I also thought it would be better to have both the releases opposing.

If you did use a canister light it would be the only option to have the buckle on the left waist strap. Otherwise you'd need to unthread you buckle every time you wanted to move the light.

I have both RH release. The reason is that a rescuer would need to release both to get my weight belt to drop.

I use a rubber weight belt with a wire buckle, so I can tell the difference by feel.

BTW, I have a separate buckle on my right hip to hold my can light.

So in my OW training, we were always taught to orient your weight belt so the buckle is "right hand release".

The typical BP/W is set up with the buckle on the left, also making it RHR. I understand that sometimes the buckle is supposed to keep the canister light in place, but it would make more sense to me to put the buckle on the right so that it is left hand release and opposes the weight belt buckle. This way, in an emergency, you wouldn't accidentally release your BP/W instead of the weight belt.

Explanations?
The only thing I'll add to the discussion is that even if the waist buckle of a BP/W is inadvertently released, the BP/W rig isn't going to separate from the diver. The shoulder straps should still keep the BP/W rig secured to the diver.

My BP/W waist strap buckle is on the lefthand side. My weightbelt is also a RHR. I would hope that a rescuer would know the difference between the two buckles and would release the proper one (or both) in an emergency. I always make sure that my dive buddy (or buddies) knows how to extricate me from my rig and ditch my weights. It's a critical part of the pre-dive talk.

I was taught a long time ago to orient the weight belt release opposite the BCD/wing. The logic was if you ever need to take off your BCD/Wing to deal with an entanglement at depth that you would not release your weight belt in error which would compound the entanglement issue. With all the different gear and configuration available now days this logic is not always valid, but worth thinking about.

RHR for both buckles for me. That is the way I was taught. It is quicker and after you've done it a few bazzillion times, you kinda know which is which. If you got the harness and crotch strap over the weight belt (trapping it), you might want to open both buckles real fast.

Wear it where you feel most comfortable w/it......Not everyone is right handed...BP/w gear is adjustable/customizable, take advantage of it.....

You can certainly do that. If it works for you, and your buddy, fine. I have never seen the need. The primary buckle is usually NOT used to secure your can light on your waist strap. Rather a separate buckle is threaded onto the waist strap to do that.
Bubbletrubble:
My BP/W waist strap buckle is on the lefthand side.
Ditto. It is easy to have both buckles as RHR, and simply adjust the position of the BP harness buckle. In fact, you can adjust it so it is offset to the left side, OR the right side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom