Bp/w For 10yr & Small Mother

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has any one fitted a BP/W for some one around 5ft tall?

One of my student's mothers has asked me to look into BP/Ws for her 10yr son and herself. They both are around 5' tall. The primary brand on our island is Apex. The mother has tried on an APEX and she thought it was a little long in the torso. She ask me if I would look around for her. My BP/Ws are DSS (Large), OMS, Halcyon and Dive Rite. I have never really paid attention to their length before, so I suppose I need to measure them.

I have been looking at internet sites for back plate size specifications and I just have not see any. The closest is DSS's, theirs comes in different sizes based on the diver's height with small fitting 5'3'' and below. What has others used? Right now I am thinking about sending her to DSS...at least for the back plate.

~Oldbear~

There are a few companies that make a short plate. DSS is one, and I believe Halcyon used to. Not sure if they still do.

Thanks...

I went with DSS and communicated with Tobin when my 8 year old daughter wanted to learn how to dive. Tobin is a wealth of information and you can contact him on this forum.

Tobin is your best option for that. Halcyon and a handful of others make short plates as well but you'll pay dearly for them... You'll be in for a pair of DSS rigs for the cost of one of the halcyons

My wife is 4-11 and some change. She has an Oxycheq travel plate for 3mm and a short SS plate from Oxycheq for 5mm+. My 11 YO has the other Oxycheq travel plate. Both are great. Don't know if they still make the short SS plate though. We have had it for 6-8 years.

The fabric travel plates are good for the young ones if they don't need much / any weight.

I've got both the Halcyon and oxycheq plates for wife and son. Both great.

Our kids (both 5 ft) dive the Oxycheq ultra lite travel plate with a wing and basic harness. Oxycheq, Dive Rite, DGX and DSS wings work with this setup. They need 2 lbs of weight on the tank band with a 3mm and are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom