BP/W for a very large man

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was 399 when I first got certified (275 now). Nothing special was required, aside from ensuring I had proper length webbing. I used a 55lb Diverite REC EXP but hardly put more than a tiny squirt of air into it. I'd say try 18 or maybe up to 30lb wing. With an aluminum plate and steel lp108 tank I need no lead. Losing 125 lbs didn't change that equation much.

For me, scuba was a great incentive to lose weight. Hopefully this guy will find it equally rewarding.
are you using AL or steel?

are you using AL or steel?
Steel 108's most of the time. When I travel internationally, I use AL80's. I do use 10lbs of lead when diving al80.

After a long break my large Gentleman has returned. So.... Yes he is massively out of shape. Short version, hurt in Afgan, Military Dr. told him no activity for 3 years, now has 2 months left. He was a lifeguard for years, and Judo practitioner. So he does plan to get back into shape. He is already a certified diver, and just signed the kids up for OW. He says his shoulders are good, and we are going to try a single strap to double check on Friday, I will have to measure for that long Crotch strap you mentioned.

Would you put a Steel or AL on this guy?
Hey, I was a lifeguard for years and a judo player. It means he will be comfortable in the water and should be calm under pressure. You'll probably need to be very vigilant about him overexerting himself though. In particular he needs to get out of his gear before exiting the water. A weight belt is a good idea since it splits up the weight and he can hand it up first. If you are doing shore dives, he should also have help getting it into the water.

As @Eric Sedletzky said, get a large/long steel backplate and a big steel tank. This will get the lead he needs to carry on the belt into a reasonable range, plus I'm sure he'll be sucking air at the start. Although given his background, gas consumption might level out pretty fast.

I guess from your profile this is warm water diving? Someone this big, especially a former lifeguard isn't going to be bothered too much by mild cold. I think you can find a 3mm shorty in his size? It should be good down to 78 degrees, maybe 76. If you have 80+, just a rashguard.

Hey, I was a lifeguard for years and a judo player. It means he will be comfortable in the water and should be calm under pressure. You'll probably need to be very vigilant about him overexerting himself though. In particular he needs to get out of his gear before exiting the water. A weight belt is a good idea since it splits up the weight and he can hand it up first. If you are doing shore dives, he should also have help getting it into the water.

As @Eric Sedletzky said, get a large/long steel backplate and a big steel tank. This will get the lead he needs to carry on the belt into a reasonable range, plus I'm sure he'll be sucking air at the start. Although given his background, gas consumption might level out pretty fast.

I guess from your profile this is warm water diving? Someone this big, especially a former lifeguard isn't going to be bothered too much by mild cold. I think you can find a 3mm shorty in his size? It should be good down to 78 degrees, maybe 76. If you have 80+, just a rashguard.
I was going to say, I don’t think the dude is going to be too concerned with cold. Most of the big fellas I’ve seen are sweating in a 7 mil or even 5 mil while the skinny little guys are freezing their asses off in drysuits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom