BP/W Help me with weight pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for the dgx trim pockets. They seems to be cheaper at $10us each. Just not sure how much additional shipping is to you. These are mine
EF5C0BAD-9BCF-44A7-8F86-D3E26197A723.jpeg

DGX Trim Weight Pocket (each) | Dive Gear Express®

If you want ditchable weight pockets these are the least expensive ones out there I have found. They slide over 2” webbing well and you can pull the Velcro open to dump weight if desired. I’ve used them this whole season and they work well.

Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Price keeps fluctuating at LP, but they are $9.95 now. I just bought these. Nice and compact. I have read that if you only need smaller weights (i.e. 2 or 3#) they will fall out, so need to think of a solution, like wrapping the weights with rubber bands or something that will prevent them from sliding through the openings.

XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket

Price keeps fluctuating at LP, but they are $9.95 now. I just bought these. Nice and compact. I have read that if you only need smaller weights (i.e. 2 or 3#) they will fall out, so need to think of a solution, like wrapping the weights with rubber bands or something that will prevent them from sliding through the openings.

I routinely use with 2&3# weights with no problem whatsoever. I have only used this season so can't testify to how well the Velcro holds up over time but at that price point....

I've done over 100 dives with a pair of these using 1 to 4 pound weights (mostly 2s and 3s) and never had a weight come out.

Edit: I pulled it out and measured. With a 2 pound Sea Pearl hard weight in place, the openings on the bottom sides (the largest opening) are 1.25". The weight is 2.75" x 3.25". It's not falling out.

IMG_20191102_155637~2.jpg

I'm holding it upside down so you can see the size of the gap. Maybe a 1lb soft weight could slide out, but hard weights with belt slots can't.

Hi all

I've taken the advice of the forum and have purchased a BP/W setup with a SS backplate. Now need to choose weight pockets.

I have lost a lot of fat since I last dived (now only a little podgy) so don't know how much extra weight I'll need to get down.

In a 3mm wetsuit (or maybe even just rash vest) should I be okay just using cam trim pockets (like the ones below, which hold up to 2kg each) or should I also have something I can ditch too?

Tecline Trim Pockets 2Kg (2un.) - Gidive Store

What is the problem with a weight belt?

If you only need two to four kg then it is hardly a problem. If you need a lot then maybe off load some around the set, but that will obviously impact trim. For medium weight then a couple of these Tecline Double Weight Pocket Right - Gidive Store is the answer if you want weight on the harness belt, not trim pockets.

All sorts of practical pain and annoyance starts when you cannot easily split the lead from the rest of the kit.

And having some weight dump-able is an advantage.

If you have a lot of weight, then a weight hardness is ideal. Unfortunately they don’t play well with BP/W setups, the waist straps tend to clash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom