BP/W Lumbar Cushioning Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decommissioned

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm currently looking for a new BC and I'm currently looking at the Zeagle Stiletto and/or going the BP/W route. I get why divers go the BP/W route, however I have back issues, I have bulging discs in my lower back and so using a BP/W without or minimal cushioning is out of the question and would be painful. I currently use an Oceanic jacket style BCD which has fantastic back cushioning that it doesn't bother my back but I would like less bulk for a BC. The Zeagle Stiletto has pretty nice back cushioning and is alot less bulking than my Oceanic BC but I would also like to go the BP/W route as I may become a Tech diver someday but currently just a recreational diver now. I'd mainly need the cushioning for when I'm out of the water lugging around a tank on a boat or walking to a FL spring from a campsite.

TL;DR What is the best BP/W lumbar cushioning for a person who has back problems?

i bought the oms lite IQ and it is really comfy .it does not have a steel back plate but you can add one.i just added trim pockets and quick release pockets instead it has a beauty padding on the back this is a wing

If you haven't already, and have the opportunity, try out a BPW prior to deciding you need a pad. I had an OMS one that worked fine and added minimal buoyancy, but ultimately abandoned it as I didn't need it. Metal plates look uncomfortable, but is really a non-issue. With lower back issues your problem will more likely come from the weight above water and that will be the same regardless of what bc you have.

Just make sure the bolts and wingnuts aren't so long they are jabbing you in the back!

-Chris

The plates typically are bent in such a way that the centerline isn't what's touching your back - the outer edges are where it makes contact. The center channel is raised up so that hardware to attach the wing/doubles/STA has clearance.

Broke L4, L5 3 years ago. 8 weeks later I was doing trimix deco dives off a boat in Croatia, using a DIR rigged backplate/wing (no Padding), and it worked out well.
Sure my physiotherapist was of the opinion that he had to either kill or cure me, and for a while I was scared to death of him, but he really knew better what I needed.

Michael

You can add back padding to any backplate. Here's an example pad made by diverite: Backplate Comfort Pad | Dive Rite
XT-Backplate-Comfort-Pad_BC1037_Front-View-768x768.jpg
I tend to agree with others. Normally, the backplate doesn't actually touch your back anywhere near the spine. Padding may actually cause it to touch your back and be counter-productive. If you have access to a bp/w, try throwing it on with no tank in order to see what touches and where.

..., I have bulging discs in my lower back and so using a BP/W without or minimal cushioning is out of the question and would be painful.

I agree with others above. Maybe first give it a try. It looks uncomfortable, but it isn't. And the backplate really doesn't rest on your low spine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom