BP/W Octo on necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..., putting it on a suicide strap ....
I never stop learning & haven't heard this one yet...........Got a picture of a suicide strap ????, LOL !!

In my current configuration as was taught by SSI I am donating my secondary. Therefore it is clipped near my chest on a rubber keeper on my jacket BC. Hence my question, on a BPW there is nothing near my chest to clip to, only high on my shoulder.

Gotcha. Then maybe don’t use a necklace for that.

One of the advantages of a BP/W is that it is endlessly customizable. You can put D-rings, clips, loops, pockets, weights, etc.. pretty much wherever you want them.

Also, maybe consider looking into primary donate someday. But I guess that’s off topic for your question.

The best solution is to have someone competent teach you primary donate. Alternatively if you want to stick with secondary donate, just move the d-ring down. It's not like you're DIR at that point so who cares if the d-ring isn't high enough.

@Johnoly Dive Rite Regulator Necklace

In my current configuration as was taught by SSI I am donating my secondary. Therefore it is clipped near my chest on a rubber keeper on my jacket BC. Hence my question, on a BPW there is nothing near my chest to clip to, only high on my shoulder.

Sounds like your d-ring is too high.

I've recently bought a BPW and also thought about the best place for the octo as Im sticking with secondary donate (for now at least). I’ve put a D-ring on my waist and will clip off the octo there with an octo holder like this
Octopus Holder

Ill probably try it on the shoulder D-ring too to see which I prefer. As long as the d-ring isn’t too high it shouldn’t get in your way. You might not even notice it when you’re diving.

I too recently switched over to a BP and used the right shoulder D-ring for the 1st few dives. It wasn't a problem having it there for me. There's a video of me in a couple of threads that would give you an idea of what to expect.

That being said, I did move over to necklace setup shortly after.

Probably overthinking it, I guess I would clip it on the right shoulder d-ring but I just thought it might be a little high there.

You are over thinking it. Unless there has been some shift in recreational dive agency thought, there is a visibility triangle (or whatever they call it) which two corners of the triangle is your chest. If you clip the second to the shoulder d-ring it should hang down far enough to be in the area. What matters more than placement, is that you go over with your buddy what the procedure is for an out of air emergency and where the octo is.

Personally, I agree with the group that donating the primary is better, but it is your choice.

I dive a BP/W with standard hose configuration (warm water, rec diving only) and I carry my octo on a bungee holder connected to my right waist d-ring. That said, with a BP/W, put a d-ring wherever is comfortable and secure your octo appropriately or continue forward with your new configuration. Go over your config with your dive buddy pre-splash especially if it's a non-standard, non-obvious configuration. Dive and let dive. All IMHO, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom