BP/W one-piece harness shoulder straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I think this was posted by @Dan_P but it's a good video that shows what happens when you remove the shoulder straps of a bp/w underwater. Spoiler alert, nothing. No reason to have any sort of tension on the shoulder straps when you are in the water as the waist and crotch straps hold everything in place.

That's assuming a standard Hogarthian dir harness & webbing fixed in place with the usual metal triglides; however a one-piece continuous adjustable harness feature option like those offered by DSS, UTD or Halcyon's cinch system could pull through and loosen from the waist belt & flop all around if you tried the above maneuver.

Last edited:
That's assuming a standard Hogarthian dir harness & webbing fixed in place with the usual metal triglides; however a one-piece continuous adjustable harness feature option like those offered by DSS, UTD or Halcyon's cinch system could pull through and loosen from the waist belt & flop all around if you tried the above maneuver.

true, that is contingent on waist strap staying in place, but I don't like the cinch systems. If you need it to get in and out, I'd rather use a quick release on one of the shoulder straps and call it a day

a one-piece continuous adjustable harness feature option like those offered by DSS, UTD or Halcyon's cinch system could pull through and loosen from the waist belt & flop all around if you tried the above maneuver.

I don't see how. One would have to loosen the waist buckle to allow more slack in the shoulder straps. There are stops in the shoulder harness to prevent it from pulling too tight......or am I missing something?

Now go sideways (for me, the narrower way) through a restriction. Even shifting a couple of inches means not getting through.

I don't see how. One would have to loosen the waist buckle to allow more slack in the shoulder straps. There are stops in the shoulder harness to prevent it from pulling too tight......or am I missing something?
Imagine slipping off the shoulder webbing as in the NOW diving video in post #1, but with an adjustable harness like the DSS or UTD model. Now flip over on your back -the waist belt will loosen itself just from the slack created from the webbing slipped-off and removed from the shoulders. . .

-the waist belt will loosen itself just from the slack created from the webbing slipped-off and removed from the shoulders. . .
I don't think so. The waist belt loop can only increase in size with a decrease in size of the shoulder loop. The shoulder loop hits a stop at the minimum correct loop size. In the UDT video fast forward to about 6:25 and you can see the shoulder belt hit the stop. Same thing with the DSS at 1:20.

Basically, the waist belt stays taut against the shoulder loop stops.

Last edited:

Halcyon cinch seems very stable after initial adjustment. To get any slack requires a definitive tug. Seems unlikely to expand without a specific effort from the diver. This all just confirms OPs point that waist/ crotch straps keep BPW in place.

Halcyon cinch seems very stable after initial adjustment.
I agree. The quick adjust systems are still stable even with the shoulder webbing off the shoulders. When I said "I don't see how" it was in response to:

a one-piece continuous adjustable harness feature option like those offered by DSS, UTD or Halcyon's cinch system could pull through and loosen from the waist belt & flop all around if you tried the above maneuver.

I agree. The quick adjust systems are still stable even with the shoulder webbing off the shoulders. When I said "I don't see how" it was in response to:
Only if you put an intermediate triglide stop to prevent the waist belt from pulling through the full slack of the removed shoulder webbing to the position of the D-rings -else the shoulder D-ring triglides are the only stops remaining, and the waist belt will loosen with the whole tank & kit flopping and hanging there unstable. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom