BP/W pockets, again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there another option I'm not thinking of? I would LOVE some pocket shorts in a non-buoyant stretchy material. Why would the manufacturers use be neoprene, rather than lycra or spandex or something? I just don't get it.

What about a pair of bike shorts, and then glue pockets on them?

Both Scubapro and Apeks, possible others got dive shorts with pockets. Expensive if you are just after pockets, but a good alternative.

Apeks Tech Shorts
They're available at LiesurePro and Amazon too. I got a pair and sent them back. They have a coating that makes them very stiff and uncomfortable to wear.

In warm water, if not wearing pocket shorts (and I have yet to find ones I truly like), a thigh pocket is my choice...

With cold water, my wet suit has pockets, and so does my dry suit.

I have the DGX shorts, I thought they sent me the wrong size at first... They are huge! Scubapro and Apeks shorts are much less buoyant. However, the scubapro pockets are small and the Apeks shorts are weird. I have glue on pockets now, but if I had to rent a wetsuit, I would just wear the DGX shorts as there is no shortage of lead. :)

Interesting... actually, as I've gotten my weight dialed in, I'm only using 10 lbs now, and I've been thinking I might go entirely with trim pockets on the tank bands. Four trim pockets, two on each cam band with 2.5 lbs each. My rig is balanced and I can swim it up from depth with an empty BCD, so I think I'm ok without ditchable weight.

In that case, the pocket you linked to is appealing...and a pretty minor investment to give it a try.

Would it hang vertically on my waist webbing? The product page doesn't show how the attachment on the back is oriented.
Personally I like using a weight belt for a number of reasons. First, easily ditchable. Second, it makes the rig lighter. Sometimes in certain situations it's best to just take your rig off and hand it up rather than climb the ladder with it on. Third, it makes swapping tanks easier.

I have tried all the various ways and concluded the tried and true weight belt still reigns supreme. If you put weights on the tank cam straps you will find it makes swapping tanks a pain in the ass. This of course is all my opinion.

As for the pocket. It could be glued on to a wetsuit, but it also has two inch slots in the back to slip onto a harness. For $8 you can't go wrong. I own one for my doubles rig for a slate and spare mask. Used to have it on my singles rig, but now no pocket on my singles. EMT shears in a sheath, and clip a small SMB and reel off my right side D ring if the dive calls for it. Dive knife on chest strap. PLB and 8' SMB in a under wing lift bag sleeve.

I use these ...
Integrated 3 in 1 Utility Weight Pocket (each)
https://www.amazon.com/OMS-Integrated-Weight-Accessory-Pocket/dp/B011S3WVPO
51TG66eddUL.jpg

Best solution that I've been able to find for ditchable weight & stowage in limited space.

+1 on the IST divers holster. You shouldn't need more lead.

We use / sell these and these. I personally prefer the shorts as they are comfortable and very similar in size to my dry suit pockets, so I carry the equipment on every dive from just wearing the shorts, to 3mil, 5 mil, 7 mil, or dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom