BP/W question: XDeep Zeos, Diverite, or X-Tek Scubapro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Rite made 2 of my 3 most favorite wings.

What models are those ?

What models are those ?

I have the Rec EXP and the Classic XT.

The Rec is 45 # lift and I use it for double steel 120s. The Classic is 60# of lift and I use it for double 120s plus deco bottles (or other scenarios where I need more lift than the Rec provides).

I like them the best of the ones I've tried because they are donuts and I prefer a donut (versus a horseshoe) for single or double tank. And, they are the only donut wings for doubles that I have tried that give me good trim without needing a tail weight.

I have the Rec EXP and the Classic XT.

The Rec is 45 # lift and I use it for double steel 120s. The Classic is 60# of lift and I use it for double 120s plus deco bottles (or other scenarios where I need more lift than the Rec provides).

I like them the best of the ones I've tried because they are donuts and I prefer a donut (versus a horseshoe) for single or double tank. And, they are the only donut wings for doubles that I have tried that give me good trim without needing a tail weight.

Thank you for the information.

I don't plan to dive with twin tanks just yet.

Any suggestions concerning Wings for a Single Tank ?

Any suggestions concerning Wings for a Single Tank ?

I've only had 2 single tank wings. A Deep Sea Supply LCD30 and a HOG 23 (# of lift). I sold the DSS and kept the HOG. If my HOG was stolen, so I needed a new single tank wing, I would look at:

- DGX Gears single tank wing (25# of lift - supposed to be the same as the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing, just with a different label and $100 lower price tag)

- Dive Rite Travel EXP or Voyager (depending on how much lift you need)

- Deep6 Gear 20 or 30

- HOG 23 or 32

- Oxycheq

- Hollis

- xDeep

- Halcyon (if I found a really good deal on a used one - I would not pay the price for a new one)

The VDH Argonaut wing looks really nice except that it is really designed specifically to fit the VDH back plate. The owner of VDH has made it clear in another recent thread that his wing is not a universal fit to all back plates and he is not interested in making it work with other back plates. And it's only 18# of lift, which is not enough for many people anyway.

DSS makes good quality wings, but I prefer donuts and the DSS donut wings do not have a zipper to let you access the inner bladder, in case you need to do a field repair. Every other wing I have experienced does have a zipper and I have had to do a field repair of a pinch flat before, so I would only look at wings that allowed that. With pretty much every other wing having a zipper, there is just no good reason (to ME) to buy a wing that doesn't have that.

Honestly, of all the ones I listed, I would go with whichever one had the right amount of lift (not too much and not too little - neither is good but too little is the worst) and was the lowest price. I think they're all good quality. And I probably left some off the list that should be there, too.

Note that DGX (DiveGearExpress) has awesome customer service and THE BEST return policy that I know of anywhere. Basically, unlimited (as in, no time limit) return policy, for any reason. Buy a wing from them, dive it for a year, and if you don't like it, you could return it for a full store credit. Obviously, if you abuse their policy, sooner or later they will stop selling to you.

I've only had 2 single tank wings. A Deep Sea Supply LCD30 and a HOG 23 (# of lift). I sold the DSS and kept the HOG. If my HOG was stolen, so I needed a new single tank wing, I would look at:

- DGX Gears single tank wing (25# of lift - supposed to be the same as the Dive Rite Travel EXP wing, just with a different label and $100 lower price tag)

- Dive Rite Travel EXP or Voyager (depending on how much lift you need)

- Deep6 Gear 20 or 30

- HOG 23 or 32

- Oxycheq

- Hollis

- xDeep

- Halcyon (if I found a really good deal on a used one - I would not pay the price for a new one)

The VDH Argonaut wing looks really nice except that it is really designed specifically to fit the VDH back plate. The owner of VDH has made it clear in another recent thread that his wing is not a universal fit to all back plates and he is not interested in making it work with other back plates. And it's only 18# of lift, which is not enough for many people anyway.

DSS makes good quality wings, but I prefer donuts and the DSS donut wings do not have a zipper to let you access the inner bladder, in case you need to do a field repair. Every other wing I have experienced does have a zipper and I have had to do a field repair of a pinch flat before, so I would only look at wings that allowed that. With pretty much every other wing having a zipper, there is just no good reason (to ME) to buy a wing that doesn't have that.

Honestly, of all the ones I listed, I would go with whichever one had the right amount of lift (not too much and not too little - neither is good but too little is the worst) and was the lowest price. I think they're all good quality. And I probably left some off the list that should be there, too.

Note that DGX (DiveGearExpress) has awesome customer service and THE BEST return policy that I know of anywhere. Basically, unlimited (as in, no time limit) return policy, for any reason. Buy a wing from them, dive it for a year, and if you don't like it, you could return it for a full store credit. Obviously, if you abuse their policy, sooner or later they will stop selling to you.

Very useful ! Thank you !

I purchased Dive Rite BP/W Package (Dive Rite SS XT LITE BACKPLATE + basic harness + Voyager EXP wing.) myself this summer and after some research I decided to go with Dive Rite LITE steel backplate Reasoning was that I didn't want to purchase a separate backplate for traveling. LITE saves on weight and this way I have the same setup for cold water diving locally (Lake Ontario - around 8'C) or for warm water diving when I travel.
PS I got it from the shop that you mentioned - Dan's Dive Shop near Niagara Falls

To add a question here since XDeep is being discussed? Does anyone know if the XDeep Zeos backplate can handle twin cylinders if the wing is replaced with a larger one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom