BP/W question: XDeep Zeos, Diverite, or X-Tek Scubapro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am just trying to avoid missing a dive because I can't repair my own wing. I did repair my own wing (which was damaged due to my own accidental rough handling) once before and it was pretty quick and easy to do - because it had a zipper letting me access the bladder. Why would I want to give up that capability if I don't have to?

I never suggested that you should give up anything. Not once, and of course you know that.

You purchased a 12 + year old DSS wing, produced using materials we haven't used in over decade.

You are of course well aware of this, yet repeatedly fail to include this information.

Current production uses much more robust bladder materials. These 30 mil bladders have greatly reduced the incidence of bladder damage in all of our wings, those with zippers and those without.

It's actually far more difficult to make wings without zippers. It requires a very skilled sewing machine operator to close the wing without damaging the bladder. Remember bladders are *larger* than the shell. That means the bladder constantly trying to enter the area being sewn. Your claim that zipperless designs are a benefit to the manufacturer is laughable, clearly you have never attempted or even considered the challenges in producing such a design. Of course that hasn't prevent you from implying DSS is somehow cutting corners and cheating their customers.

I suspect the reason why many wings have zippers is due to the fact that bladders, which are RF welded, and out shells, which are a "cut and sew" item are often produced in different job shops. Zippered designs allow for assembly in a 3rd job shop, install the fittings, bladder, hose, test etc.

Scuba is full of design choices based on available materials, or manufacturing resources, etc. that many mistakenly assume are based on performance criteria.

It seems to me that it is the people who recommend a DSS Torus wing and don't mention that those wings are the only (? I think?) wings on the market that do not have a zipper that are posting incomplete information.

It's hardly a secret. We proudly point this out on the DSS website. Many prefer it. I'd suggest that most who recommend DSS Torus wings are actual owners and users of our products. Clearly they are aware of the zipperless design, yet somehow are able to over come what you choose to portray as a gross design error.

Once again we have the typical Scubaboard poster compelled to "warn" others of all the short comings of goods they don't own and haven't used.

Seems like more of an agenda, than public service.

Tobin

PS: I owned a Ford once, but I sold it because I got tired of having to set the points and lash the valves every ~1500 miles

Of course it was a '63 F100. My mission in life now is to make sure others don't suffer the horrible same fate, so I make sure everybody know what they will be faced if they buy a Ford. It's the least I can do for the community..........

Thank you for pointing out the existence of the Deep Sea Supply store.

In Canada there is a shop called Dan's Dive Shop near Niagara Falls, and they sell HOG products, but for some reason I am hesitant to buy something that I cannot try out myself in a store.

Probably because I am not enough experienced to know exactly what I need.

FWIW, Dan's used to sell DSS, they just upsold Halcyon over it. Kind of "hidden in the corner, and described as not the best choice" - really, seen it with my own eyes. They did that in the past with HOG too. Told me it was "poorly machined junk" when I asked about it years back. Now they seem to push it as the thing to buy. They also pushed ScubaPro aside when they went Halcyon. That was funny.... sort of... okay, nor really... YMMV

All this being said, and since you list Quebec, I'd probably look at Dive TEch in Mallroytown (spelling?), Ontario... not Dan's. Too many experiences have changed my opinion of them. I was a big fan in the 90's. No more...

FWIW, Dan's used to sell DSS, they just upsold Halcyon over it. Kind of "hidden in the corner, and described as not the best choice" - really, seen it with my own eyes. They did that in the past with HOG too. Told me it was "poorly machined junk" when I asked about it years back. Now they seem to push it as the thing to buy. They also pushed ScubaPro aside when they went Halcyon. That was funny.... sort of... okay, nor really... YMMV

All this being said, and since you list Quebec, I'd probably look at Dive TEch in Mallroytown (spelling?), Ontario... not Dan's. Too many experiences have changed my opinion of them. I was a big fan in the 90's. No more...
I have not had the same experience with Dan's, but I have bought several bits of kit at DiveTech, including my Petrel. Knowledgeable, good service, and there is little they cant get for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom