BP/W set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fill out your profile more and that will help folks with advice.

When you open up the calculator you'll see some fields on the left hand side that are blue.

They include Head weight, Tank Full, Tank Empty, Suit, BP, Light, Doubles?, and Weight Intergrated.

Apparently the head weight approx 8% of your body weight. You can do the math on that.

There is a table with the most common tank sizes on it, where it has the tank size and then full and empty. Air has mass so a full tank is going to weigh more than an empty tank. Steel tanks typically are very negatively buoyant when full and slightly negatively buoyant when empty. Aluminium tanks start off negative and then end up positive. Assume that you'll be diving an AL80. Fill in the buoyancy for that.

DR SS plates are around -5#. Pop that in there.

Assume a non-canister light is going to run our -2#'s.

You're not diving doubles so enter '0'.

You're not diving Weight Intergrated, so again '0'.

If you go to the websites of various wetsuit manufactures, you can typically find the buoyancy characteristics of various wetsuits. Input the info you find.

The spread sheet will then tell you the amount of lift you need in Red.

Seriously, update more of your profile and describe where you see yourself diving.

Im 6'4" and 280lbs. I dive the Dive Rite Transplate, Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 30, SS Dive Rite backplate and Dive Rite STA. I dive in southern ca where a 7mm is just about always required. I also occasionaly dive lake mohave in AZ where the water temp in the summer is 85+ and in the winter gets down to 48. I use single steel and aluminum tanks. Even with all my different kinds of diving my set up works just fine so I know that the 30lbs wing will be just fine for you. And yes most manufactures that make jacket style BCs like the Aqua Lung pro qd, in my size (xxl) 54lbs of lift, has way to much lift for MOST divers out there. Im sure for some divers 54lbs of lift is just what they need but for the most part its overkill. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This definitely helps. Thank you so much. I am much smaller than you and only use a 5mm wetsuit so I guess 30lbs will be the way to go for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom