BP/W Setup Question - Thinking XDeep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis S.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

First off, I want to say that I am really impressed with the shared knowledge on these forums. I have learned a lot reading the discussions of others. I have been diving for a while, but lived in NY until recently. I'm in the SF bay area now, and the easy access to Monterey has re-kindled my passion for the sport.

I have been thinking of upgrading from my old Zeagle Ranger and taking some intro to tech courses. Speaking of which, is SSI a good start? But I digress.

I was interested in moving to the BP/W combo, and want to do so with a setup primarily geared for recreational diving, but also with the flexibility to adjust to tec diving in the near future. From what I understand here, a lot of people like Dive Rite and XDeep (the latter of which I learned about from reading these forums). However, the more I read, the more it seems like this gear is all extremely specialized, in that each choice is specific to whether you want to do single cylinders with a smaller deco cylinder, double cylinders back-mounted or side-mounts, and even whether you're wearing a 7 mill or a dry-suit. Do you guys each have multiple BPs and Wings for each scenario?

Or am I missing something? Is there a good starting platform package to buy that will work with traditional
diving, but with a few modifications, will also work with at least some of the more complex multi-tank setups? Understood that the wing for side-mounts is different, but if I were to buy the xdeep ghost, for example, could I use that SS plate with a side-mount bladder in a few years?

Thanks in advance.

Travis

start with a 30lb to 36lb single tank wing and ss plate. weighted sta and some cam band weight pockets to have less on your belt are nice to have if you are diving in a heavy wetsuit or drysuit, but not absolutely necessary.

Golem 35 Lbs SS Combo

you can consider a lighter plate and smaller wing for travel later on, but you can dive a 35lb wing and steel plate with an al80 in the tropics in a pinch.

ss plate is reusable for doubles if you don't end up too head heavy. but separate wings are generally the norm for single tank vs backmount doubles.

you can also dive sidemount all the time and just run a single al80 or a pair of small tanks like lp45/50s for recreational. but generally you would buy the xdeep stealth if going that route.

consider fundies instead of intro to tech.

GUE Instructor resumé | GUE

You want a steel plate, any one will do. Some have more “features,” some less, but they all have the minimum.

You want a single piece webbing harness.

You want a single tank wing of anywhere from 20-40lbs ish of lift. Many manufacturers make these. The amount of lift will be dependent on your equipment and exposure protection. For example, an 18lb wing for tropical diving in a bathing suit is perfectly acceptable. An 18lb wing for diving cold water with a 7mm farmer John and a big steel tank is not. In that case you would want a wing with a higher lift capacity.

Of note, these numbers are assuming you’re diving a balanced rig. If you are grossly overweighted, an 18lb wing isn’t gonna cut it even in the tropics.

I prefer an STA because it allows for easier removal to swap from singles to doubles or a rebreather. Some plates and wings have slots cut to allow cam bands to attach directly, you will just have to unthread them each time to switch configurations.

For technical diving you can use the same backplate, and will simply substitute a larger doubles wing. 40lbs is good for AL80 doubles with deco gas. 60lbs is good for large steels or more stages, deco gas, etc.

Thanks, both!

Runsungas - I can't believe it, but I think I actually e-mailed you about scheduling the GUE fundies course! Small world!

Hopefully we can figure something out, and I can learn enough to answer these questions myself.

Welcome to Scubaboard Travis. Don't think tech diving yet. Make lots of dives, study diving and tech diving books. Then when the time come, you will know how to proceed. Lots of good advice here. Many tech instructors and agencies to consider. ALL have +'s and -'s.

Enjoy.

I missed the second part of your question. Backmount and sidemount are two inherently different methods of carrying scuba tanks. The systems that do both, don’t do either well.

The XDeep Ghost is their backplate system, the Stealth is their sidemount system. They are entirely different lines and designed for different purposes. They are not interchangeable. It’s not simply that you can get a sidemount wing and put it on your backplate and have it work correctly.

There are some systems that seek to do both. They are poor substitutes for dedicated systems.

start with a 30lb to 36lb single tank wing and ss plate. weighted sta and some cam band weight pockets to have less on your belt are nice to have if you are diving in a heavy wetsuit or drysuit, but not absolutely necessary.
This recommendation would put me at about 12lb - 14lb overweighted, that’s not even considering whatever would go on the trim weight pockets, or belt. Wearing a drysuit with 300g undergarments and single worthington HP 100, a common rig!

OP just did not give the key info to know what he would need to this level of detail

This recommendation would put me at about 12lb - 14lb overweighted, that’s not even considering whatever would go on the trim weight pockets, or belt. Wearing a drysuit with 300g undergarments and single worthington HP 100, a common rig!

OP just did not give the key info to know what he would need to this level of detail

if a ss plate and weighted sta would make you 12 pounds overweighted, then you must be diving in the ocean with no additional weights at all with your drysuit, 300g undies, and a single hp100. if that is the case, congrats on being incredibly dense.

if a ss plate and weighted sta would make you 12 pounds overweighted, then you must be diving in the ocean with no additional weights at all with your drysuit, 300g undies, and a single hp100. if that is the case, congrats on being incredibly dense.
Thank you, it does have plenty of advantages, but there are downsides too.

Way too many people dive overweighted though, they’ll dive like that their entire lives, I just gave my SS plate to a friend, guess why I had one, it was recommend to me, and unfortunately I didn’t know any better then.
I have 3 DM friends I had them switch from SS to aluminum plates, without any other change in their rig, all 3 were told to get SS when they were ordering the gear, same gear, same price, your choice of metal... someone says, get SS. Wasn’t the same person who made the recommendation to all 4 of us btw, not even same place.

For some reason, divers fear being underweighted (which realistically means either balanced or slightly overweighted) but give no thought about being overweighted, how many even rationalize adding a few extra pounds is a good idea, we see that all the time, after all they have buoyancy COMPENSATING device, press a button and instantly I’m “no longer” overweighted.

Anyway, I might be deviating offtopic here and rambling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom