BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've done some research and noticed some of these setups require a STA. I don't like that personally so which setups are out there that doesn't require that? I believe Halcyon does? VDH does not? What others - Thanks! Which have the best inherent roll control?

Halcyon and Dive Rite should be the only ones that need it. Dive Rite's is technically optional, but there is no roll control at all on their wings due to compatibility with the Transpac. Everything else should have a near identical roll control system put in which is a simple piece of tubing to wedge the tank against the spine of the plate

The Halcyon Carbon Fiber Plus Backplate has stabilizers built into the plate ( and the Cinch system ) and does not require an STA. If using a Halcyon wing you would need the Adventurer Eclipse wing which has pre cut slots for the cam straps. Halcyon can add cam strap slots to any of their standard Eclipse wings for a reasonable charge. The other Halcyon standard size plates Carbon, Aluminum, SS have slots for cam straps but one would probably need to add some type of stabilizer pad like OMS Soft Stabilizing Adapter to dive without an STA.

I've used a Dive Rite BP/W for the past 7 years and never used a STA, no issues with two cam bands securing a single tank.

I have an Oxycheq and VDH; I used to have a HOG-all three have a built in roll control tubes therefore do not require a STA. Re which one is the best-they all do the job equally well.

I have Oxycheq wings which don't require an STA but I actually prefer them.

I like the STA for tank changes it acts as a low friction guide rail, this normally as I switch tanks on the tailgate of my pick up, also works on a folding work bench I use when I don’t take the beast. The extra weight is also a good thing for the cold water.

I've done some research and noticed some of these setups require a STA. I don't like that personally so which setups are out there that doesn't require that? I believe Halcyon does? VDH does not? What others - Thanks! Which have the best inherent roll control?
Just curious - Why don't you like an STA? I prefer using one as it I think it makes switching tanks a bit easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom