BP/Wing, a beautiful thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoelW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last year I used a Zeagle Tech BC and some things about it bothered me when I was diving. Over the winter I set up a bp/wing system (OMS plate, Dive Rite Trek wing)and made other modificitions to things to change my rig to a setup made popular by some people in Florida.

The other night I took the bp/wings, my drysuit, my 6.5 2-piece, my 3mm shorty and other necessary gear up to a pool at one of the dive shops. I also took an AL80 with about 800psi. The purpose of the trip was to find out the weight necessary to hang at 10' with an almost empty tank. I stacked 30# of various sizes on the edge of the pool and added or removed weight from my DUI weight and trim harness until I could hang at 10' in any of the three suit configurations with no air in the wing. It was fantastic to be able to float just off the bottom without playing with the wing inflation. Standing on my head just off of the bottom was also pretty neat.

With regard to the bp/wing setup. I am strictly a single tank diver who likes watching fish in weed beds at least for the short term future. Even so, I was significantly more comfortable in the bp than the Zeagle I had been using. It was nice not to feel the tank shift towards my head when I floated head down. For that matter, the tank didn't shift really at any time. I was also able to move more easily through the water. So, to anyone who is looking for a BC, take a look at a bp/wing. They are extremely functional and comfortable even if tech diving isn't planned for the future.

JoelW

p.s. I have a Zeagle Tech BC with Octo+, weight holders,single and dual tank straps, crotch strap, and possibly a BC knife that I will make someone a good deal on.

Back
Top Bottom