BP/Wing Advice For New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For wing lift, take a look at this thread at thedecostop, Formula for Choosing Wing Lift, The Deco Stop.
Carrie

Thanks for the link (very informative). I registered, and plan to do some exploring there as well.

I kind of suspected that even with my "excess lipids" :) I would need a smaller wing than many recommend.

...I was not as pleased with the Transpac. It seemed to have the same problems as a vest. Loose fitting, riding up, etc. It doesn't have a crotch strap - would that help?

We are close in size and I have used a TransPac. I can also tell you first hand that a crotch strap makes all the difference in the world for stability.

After a year or so of diving the TransPac I switched to a WTX Harness principally for the pocket in the back to allow a steel backplate. It has worked out terrific for me.

As for the wing, I still use a DiveRite Venture 30# wing - it fits the WTX Harness and is more than adequate for single tank diving.

We are close in size and I have used a TransPac. I can also tell you first hand that a crotch strap makes all the difference in the world for stability.

After a year or so of diving the TransPac I switched to a WTX Harness principally for the pocket in the back to allow a steel backplate. It has worked out terrific for me.

As for the wing, I still use a DiveRite Venture 30# wing - it fits the WTX Harness and is more than adequate for single tank diving.

Maybe I haven't given the Transpac a fair chance. I actually had a crotch strap I could have put on it and for some reason didn't. I was going to put it up on Ebay this coming weekend, but maybe i should give it a try with the strap first.

Having dove both, what would you say are the major differences/benifits of the Transpac vs. the WTX?

Maybe I haven't given the Transpac a fair chance. I actually had a crotch strap I could have put on it and for some reason didn't. I was going to put it up on Ebay this coming weekend, but maybe i should give it a try with the strap first.
Good plan. Put on the crotch strap and try it out.

Having dove both, what would you say are the major differences/benifits of the Transpac vs. the WTX?
For me, the single difference is the WTX's pocket for a steel back plate.
I use it to hold two stainless steel plates for better trim (when singles diving). See Photo below. Plus I can bolt on a regular steel backplate for doubles diving.

When traveling m(by air), I leave the steel at home and toss in a couple of two pound ankle or soft weights when I get to the destination.

Both systems are built very well but I prefer the fit and feel of the WTX Harness.

DSC03117_Medium_.JPG

Thanks for the link (very informative). I registered, and plan to do some exploring there as well.

I kind of suspected that even with my "excess lipids" :) I would need a smaller wing than many recommend.

My understanding was that the lipidic? cells increase bouyancy. At least that's how it's worked out for me.

I am also a big guy 6'2" 215. I have a couple of TransPacs that have been sitting on the shelf for a few years. I also have a variety of plates that I have gone through. None of them provided the correct fit.

The best setup I have found is a Fred T large back plate. The regular size plates end up with the "waist" belt running across my lower diaphragm which messes with my breathing. I also got the heavy plate which works great with a dry suit as well.

It takes time and experience to get to the right setup. Find someone with real experience with back plates so you can get it adjusted correctly. Try demoing or borrowing gear before you go through the buy and ebay cycle.

omar

I was ckecking out the Oxycheq stuff and liked it.

I too enjoy the Oxycheq line. My harness was nice and inexpensive when I wove it my self.

Since this is the hogarthian forum, I think it's necessary to point out that the transpac is NOT in line with hogarthian principles.

Simplicity is king; metal backplate, webbing harness, properly sized wing, that's it. I'm not trying to knock the transpac or any other padded harness, I'm just staying with the intent of this particular forum.

Since this is the hogarthian forum, I think it's necessary to point out that the transpac is NOT in line with hogarthian principles.

Simplicity is king; metal backplate, webbing harness, properly sized wing, that's it. I'm not trying to knock the transpac or any other padded harness, I'm just staying with the intent of this particular forum.

I posted here to get input and advice from Hog enthusiasts, knowing that a Transpac is not Hog. I was not disappointed; the response was great and very informative. Thanks to all.

I agree, "simplicity is king". That's what drew me here in the first place. And in case anyone is interested, I sold the Transpac and settled on SS BP and Venture wing (for a single). Haven't dove it yet though - waiting impatiently for warmer water.

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom