bp/wing question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbediving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have a question about the bp/wing setup. im not sure what forum this belongs in so i'll apolagize now. well, here it is, does the backplate with the single piece of webbing provide better trim? i have a dui delta bc and im using the integrated weight system on it with twin steel 72's. i use the weight pockets for a few pounds and some other things. currently i find it kinda hard to get my trim right so i was wondering if it would help if i removed the dui harness system and used a single strap. thanks for any input.
jason

I don't know that switching to a single piece of webbing will immediately fix your trim. I'm not very familiar with your BC, I assume that the weight pockets are near your hips?

I used to dive a Zeagle Ranger Tech.... it trimmed out quite well, even with weight in the pockets. I switched to a BP/W setup for simplicity, I would never go back.

Have you tried adjusting your tank bands up or down a touch to trim you out? That can make quite a bit of difference.

It will certainly help. Having a significant weight spread across your back *really* helps in keeping your back horizontal in the water.

One of the things that helped me get better trim after switching to a backplate was using a V-weight. The six pounds for the plate and two pounds for my light allowed me to move the other weight I need to the center of my back instead of my hips. Halcyon sells V-weights for a ridiculous fee, but you can easily cover the holes in your plate with aluminum foil, melt lead in an old pan or coffee can and make your own for no cost with little effort. Make sure to use two pins wrapped in foil (pencils will work) and stick them in the holes your bolts go through before pouring the lead. Here' one way of making it, but I use two holes instead so I can remove the weight without a wrench.
http://diveweb.oneandoneis2.com/pweight.htm

Yes.

Changing to a BP/wing will be like going from night to day!

nalfein:
Have you tried adjusting your tank bands up or down a touch to trim you out? That can make quite a bit of difference.

if i move my bands, i wont be able to reach the iso valve. i only use 6 pounds when i wear my semi dry. i was mainly curious about having the harness attached to the bp as apposed to the wing the way it is now. and yes, my current weight is on my hips.

i have decided to give it a try. i imagine there are alot of places to get this webbing, any ideas on a good source and length for the web and buckle and d rings???

idratherbediving:
should i decide to go "pre-fab" how much webbing do i need?
I believe most prefabs will come with enough webbing, usually in the 10' range.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom