BP/Wing Weighting Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my steel monopoly style. Pick up an 80 for cheap then another. Then trade sell both for 1 steel.

I'm also considering switching from a jacket to a BP/W. Is there much of a learning curve to a BP/W other than weighting yourself?

I did OW in a vest, then bought a BP/W for my first "real" dives after that. There is no learning curve, other than perhaps taking some extra time to get it adjusted correctly.

Well, I bought an engagement ring instead, so the BP/W will have to wait. Thanks for the advice, everybody, it's noted for future use.

Well, I bought an engagement ring instead, so the BP/W will have to wait. Thanks for the advice, everybody, it's noted for future use.

Where does the tank mount on that? :D

I'm also considering switching from a jacket to a BP/W. Is there much of a learning curve to a BP/W other than weighting yourself?

TravisD is right about the learning curve. I just switched out my jacket BC for a Hollis S38 SS BP&W recently and find that I have a better dive with that than my jacket. You do have to get it adjusted right or it can be frustrating but the adjustment time is definitely worth spending. Get with someone that dives a BP&W like I did and get it adjusted to you. Do a good 500 PSI weight check and you should be set. I absolutely LOVE my BP&W just so you know, I am never going back to a jacket BC ever again. Oh...I should also note that I only have 16 dives so far and 10 of those 16 were in a jacket BC. My last 6 dives were in my Hollis S38 and those dives were the most comfortable dives I have had so far. I also use a DUI weight harness, which until I got it adjusted properly did not care for but now that it is adjusted it works great.

Good luck with your BP&W...they are great rigs.

Where does the tank mount on that? :D

With the ring paid off and the soon-to-be mrs. milbournosphere happy, I went hunting and picked up a used Halcyon rig this weekend. 40# eclipse rig, SS plate, weighted STA, plate pad, argon/pony bottle bands, new inflator assembly (wow, was the old stainless one corroded; I can see why it was recalled) and new harness webbing. It looks like this configuration comes in at around 14lb, so adding two 4's on my waistband should get me to where I was in my jacket. Looking forward to trying it out on this week's dive.

al248005, I found this guide (DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate) to be very helpful with getting the webbing setup. I also followed the sticky in this forum to setup the cambands.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom