Brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wild raccoons that hung out at our local zoo were susceptible to Naegleria fowleri. The matter was taken very seriously. Discovery of any raccoon feces necessitated bagging and analyzing the feces, and fire sterilization of the immediate area.

Wild raccoons that hung out at our local zoo were susceptible to Naegleria fowleri. The matter was taken very seriously. Discovery of any raccoon feces necessitated bagging and analyzing the feces, and fire sterilization of the immediate area.

Using a flame thrower on raccoon poo seems a wee bit intense. But freaking AWESOME!!!

Based on the current state of affairs in Florida, I'm thinking it must be in the drinking water.

Based on the current state of affairs in Florida, I'm thinking it must be in the drinking water.
Sir, those are almost fightin' words.

If you must continue, dont be surprised if Florida Man shows up, gets drunk, naked, shoots himself in the leg, sets himself on fire, and attempts to assault you with an alligator. We don't play here.

Sir, those are almost fightin' words.

If you must continue, dont be surprised if Florida Man shows up, gets drunk, naked, shoots himself in the leg, sets himself on fire, and attempts to assault you with an alligator. We don't play here.

Sorry, I meant to say it must be in the Governor's well-water.

And in all seriousness, I have some very good friends in FL, including in Miami. They haven't left their house since March 15, other than the odd appointment. It seriously sucks. I feel for them. And everyone there. Unless they're anti-maskers, then I don't.

I completely understand. I stayed in lockdown for 3 months. Went into a true quarantine for 2 weeks to go to work. And I've been here for 3 months trying to get home to that craziness.

It's funny that masks are an infringement in personal freedoms but pants are completely acceptable. Go figure.

We were doing ok until they opened back up. The tourists descended and none were wearing masks or social distancing. I'm not sure why everyone is surprised that infection rates shot up shortly after reopening. Not much to do now but try and stay healthy myself. I can't do anything about anyone else.

The springs are generally too cold, per this publication from the Queensland Health ministry:

The northern Florida cave springs are usually 21-22oC (70-72oF) and circulate rapidly and do not warm that much in the sun. It's unlikely that the amoeba is present in the water but could be in the sediment.

The reported cases from Florida typically involve people who were swimming in warm/hot brackish water. As for the general level of risk:

Florida springs are also very low nutrient.

Considering that Karl Hiaasen novels are set in Florida, they're actually not as bizarre as they seem.

It's funny that masks are an infringement in personal freedoms but pants are completely acceptable. Go figure.

I've wondered about that myself. All these years I've had to put up with a pants requirement, and I'm fed up with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom