Brain fog during and after deep(ish) /multiple dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. I had a fleeting feeling of slight vertigo coupled with a weird but not unpleasant sensation in my head-- almost like being high--once on a night dive. Narcosis was my first thought when it happened, but then when it passed a second or two later without my having ascended, and given that I was only at 80 feet, I decided that probably wasn't it. Maybe it was a squeeze.
I’m not even sure “squeeze” is the right word for it, because a real squeeze is extremely painful. It’s just some delayed or strange equalization going on, but for whatever reason makes me feel dazed and foggy after. Anyway it’s an easy fix, so if it’s the case you can handle it pretty easily.

Take a thermometer with you next time and check your temp when you get out of the water. Try a hot tub or hot shower after diving so your body doesn’t have to work so hard to get back to normal temp.

Sorry @Annika1. A hot shower or hot tub after diving is unfortunately a very bad idea. Hot water or exercise can bring on the bends.

I feel I get similar symptoms. To me it doesn’t feel like narcosis. I’m trimix certified as well and can attest that the use of helium doesn’t make this go away.

It nothing very concerning for me. I have a high stress job and only dive on vacations in warm water. I always consider that foggy feeling after dives as my body adjusting to the vacation which engages my internal OPV. :) I’m foggy, relaxed, but have no issues with task loading and whatnot. It’s like the equivalent of taking a Xanax.

I’m assuming that if I did it day it and day out that my body would adjust.

The Poseidons are extremely high flow, and I much prefer them, but GUE does not accept them.

At the risk of de-railing the thread, can someone explain this statement to a newb?

I certainly hope you figure out what is going on OP, sounds frustrating.

At the risk of de-railing the thread, can someone explain this statement to a newb?

I certainly hope you figure out what is going on OP, sounds frustrating.

GUE =, Global Underwater Explorers. They are a scuba instruction and certification agency.

@Duke Dive Medicine

UPDATE:

Well, I think DDM hit the nail on the head. This last weekend I concentrated on breathing a lot more. The instructors commented that I "looked like the OW students" regarding my air consumption. Haha! Anyway, I didn't feel foggy at all. I didn't feel any fog at 80' with AOW students. I tied off the line and led the dive, and felt great. I didn't feel any fogginess after the dives either. I did a shallow night dive, 4 short shallow OW students dives (including riding a bolter to the surface :rant:), and the one deep-ish dive. This leads me to believe I've been under-breathing and giving myself CO2 retention. I had no idea one could do this (semi-)intentionally.

Thanks DDM! Now I guess I need to find a happy-medium between "looking like the OW students" and breathing so little I'm getting CO2 retention. :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom