Brand new compressor triggering "overload release motor protection switch"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randini

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all,
I've got a little problem and would really appreciate some guidance. We just got a brand new Coltri MCH 16 Ergo and had a whole room remodeled and fitted 400V three-phase electric installed for the compressor. This is at a small marine lab on the coast of central Chile.

I can run the compressor (the fan is spinning in the correct direction) but as soon as I put a load on it, like when filling a tank, the switch labelled QM1 fires turning the whole system off. I found in some Coltri manuals that the QM1 is the "overload release motor protection switch".

So the question is do I need to call back the electrician to fix the 3-phase or do I need to make a warranty claim for the compressor?

Thanks in advance

What is the actual voltage and what is the motor rated voltage?

I don't have a tester here to check what was actually installed. The plate on the compressor says 5.5 kW 400V - 50 Hz and I had the electrician base the installation off of that.

I don't have a tester here to check what was actually installed. The plate on the compressor says 5.5 kW 400V - 50 Hz and I had the electrician base the installation off of that.
Is the overload set for the motor amperage rating?

It's set the way it came from the vendor

Attachments

• QM1.jpeg
    QM1.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 109
In my opinion,
Get the Elec, back in the shop and have him check if the electromotor is set-up for the correct phase voltage. (star/Tri-angle) and if all is correct, reset the overload relay to the correct value.
Run the compressor, and start with measuring actual amperages per phase and if all those items are oke contact the manufacturer or vendor of the compressor unit if the unit still trips the breakers.

Good luck trouble shooting can be a pain in the .ss

There should be a plate on the motor itself. It will list the amperage for a given voltage. I can't make out the dial in the upper left of your overload. It should be pointed to a number corresponding with your motor amperage. If it is set correctly, you will need to check amperage while the motor is running to see if the overload is popping early or the compressor is drawing too many amps.

Looks to me like QM1 is set for ~12A and maxes at 12.5A.
The spec posted in #3 is 5,500W @400V, but that doesn't say whether it's starting load or running load. Anyway, that's 13.75 amps, but there's too much data not here.

As I recall from some previous projects, the standard voltage is 380V 3 phase in Chile. Thus your current would be proportionally higher at the lower than rated voltage. You need to check with the vendor if in fact this unit will work properly and last as expected with the lower voltages and higher currents. You also need to replace the overload with one that is the correct size as specified by the vendor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom