Brand new to Philippines diving, where to go in July near Manila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a weeklong business trip coming up near Manila in July and I want to add in about a week before the meeting to do some diving but also relaxing with my non-diving wife. I started reading threads here but was quickly overwhelmed with info.

What locations would you recommend that have a resort-like experience or at least something to offer for a non-diver who likes relaxation more than adventure, while also having at least a little exciting diving for me? I have almost zero experience diving in Asia and really want to experience something different from the Caribbean.

My diving background is that I'm just shy of 100 dives with AOW, wreck, drysuit, nitrox, and rescue cards.

Thanks in advance.

Anilao is 3 hour car transfer. Great diving but not much else to do for the wife. Pool but not much of a beach. I stayed at Blue Ribbon, they arranged the transfers.

Dauin is a short flight from Manila. Great diving, with more variety. There is snorkeling, nice beach and pool and gym, some land stuff too for the non diver. Pura Vida resort was really good.

We also liked Pura Vida in Dauin. They have a cute little spa, as does Atlantis, Liquid, and I’m sure some other resorts around there. So if your wife is into that it would be something to look for. Like much of the region, massages are typically very inexpensive in the Philippines so she could go nuts with that.

Also have a non diving wife.
Best experience for her was Atmosphere resort in Dauin, (more intimate than Atlantis and a tad more expensive).
That said you have to bite the bullet : typically over 270USD per bungalow per night, but money doesn't matter for your loved one, does it?

Anilao is 3 hour car transfer. Great diving but not much else to do for the wife. Pool but not much of a beach. I stayed at Blue Ribbon, they arranged the transfers.

Dauin is a short flight from Manila. Great diving, with more variety. There is snorkeling, nice beach and pool and gym, some land stuff too for the non diver. Pura Vida resort was really good.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd love to get your opinion on Blue Ribbon in Anilao. Did you do a trip report, by chance? It is one of the places I am considering staying a few days on my next trip to the Philippines. THX

Near Manila with a non diving wife.
1. Anilao if you like macro but your wife would be bored stiffness unless she is a bookworm.
2. Puerto Galera across the channel would be more suitable. But do keep your eyes on weather forecast, leave early if it doesn't look good. Private transfer from the airport would add another US$135.00 for two of you each way. Another bonus of diving there is the boat only go out for one dive and then return to base and most of the sites are less than 15min away. A special trip to Verde is a must weather permitted.
3. Subic Bay, only if you like wrecks.

Agreed on Subic Bay as it is very close to Manila and can be accessed by car or bus depending on budget. Subic is home to over 20 wrecks and was also the home of the US Navy at the Subic Bay Naval Base for many many years.

There are also 2 malls with great restaurants and movie theatres along with a number of day spas/massage operating on the base area for your wife to shop and unwind whilst you dive.

The Arizona Dive Shop is approx. 10 mins drive from the Base area (now called the Subic Bay Free Zone) and is also a PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center. We offer anything from Discover Dives to Technical Trimix Instructor Classes and pretty much everything in between. WE are also very tough regarding training, so if you are looking at completing training we are a sound choice. We do our utmost to ensure all our guests feel at home and receive the best possible training with an emphasis on safety and real skill development, not just ticking the boxes and getting another certification card.

If this interests you please take a look at our website at www.arizonadivesubic.com or drop me an email at arizonadiveshop@gmail.com

Regards Team Arizona!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd love to get your opinion on Blue Ribbon in Anilao. Did you do a trip report, by chance? It is one of the places I am considering staying a few days on my next trip to the Philippines. THX

Slight self promotion here, but you can check out our reviews on tripadvisor or our website www.blueribbondivers.com. We are one of the only resorts in Anilao that actually just charges a set rate for single divers, with no hidden extras or charges, including on the rooms.

Hope this isn't too cheeky

haha

Jon (Owner of Blue Ribbon)

This is helpful info. Anilao is looking attractive. It's also close to Tagaytay, where I'll be working the week after our vacation. To clarify, my wife does not need much to do, but she does like sitting on a beach or by a pool with a drink and having somewhere air conditioned she can easily retreat to. Air-conditioned restaurants are also a plus. For me, just diving.

I did dive and stay at Blue Ribbon in May. I did enjoy the resort and diving. It is priced without hidden charges. They arranged airport pick up and drop off.
Try to travel on weekend, less traffic in Manila.
There are also lot more divers on weekends.

Back
Top Bottom