Brand new to scuba - looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely!

I really like Cozumel -- just got back from my 7th trip there in 4 years.

I probably* would not recommend that you do your open water certification in Cozumel in November for several reasons:
  1. Drift diving. I don't know how the open water classes are run, but almost all diving in Cozumel is drift diving from small boats. The conditions underwater and on the boat are not ideal for an introductory training environment.

I can't argue with points 2-4 but I've never encountered strong current on any shore dive in 20-25' which is ideal for OW training. Often no real current at all.

I also agree about the quality of instructor being the most important point but the problem is students are not in a position to judge that, even if they were to talk to them for hours. Better for a prospective student to ask experienced divers they trust, if they know any. Most new divers think their instructor is a diving god.

I would also disagree.
Vehemently.
Graduate from college.
Get an entry level managerial job.
Two months later, you're ready to be the CEO.

I think the part we disagree on is the term 'advanced'. The AOW program in no way (imho) make anyone and advanced diver. I look at it more as an OW2 course. You get 5 dives, with an instructor, in 5 different scenarios. Personally, I'd like to have the 4 hours of diving (additional hours of getting to and from the sites if on a boat) with the instructor when I need the instruction most, rather than wait until I've got 30 dives, and after aow, I feel it was a complete waste of time.

I think the part we disagree on is the term 'advanced'. The AOW program in no way (imho) make anyone and advanced diver. I look at it more as an OW2 course. You get 5 dives, with an instructor, in 5 different scenarios. Personally, I'd like to have the 4 hours of diving (additional hours of getting to and from the sites if on a boat) with the instructor when I need the instruction most, rather than wait until I've got 30 dives, and after aow, I feel it was a complete waste of time.

AOW is, IMHO, a waste of time and money until the diver has at least 50 dives. Even then it is just like a boy scout merit badge, same for Master Scuba Diver. The only one that really means anything is Rescue Diver.

my 2 Cents

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

As a recreational diver, the only certifications that I have ever been asked for above OW are AOW, nitrox, and Solo. My DPV card was handy once to rent a DPV. I have heard that some renters require drysuit. This is an entirely different question than what additional training is valuable.

BTW, I think it is a good idea to have some dives after OW before taking AOW. I think you will get more out of it and be better prepared for more advanced dives, for which the cert is required. I had 75 dives, that may be a bit excessive. I have posted a story previously about a young, fit, Navy man who did OW and AOW in just 9 dives and then was my "buddy" on the Duane in Key Largo. Left to his own devices, he may have killed himself.

AOW is, IMHO, a waste of time and money until the diver has at least 50 dives. Even then it is just like a boy scout merit badge, same for Master Scuba Diver. The only one that really means anything is Rescue Diver.

my 2 Cents

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave is absolutely right. Do 40-50 dives and attain some basic competence and comfort before AOW. Also agree that CZM would be a challenging environment for certification dives. I'd personally do those in Playa which has a much easier diving environment.

Dave is absolutely right. Do 40-50 dives and attain some basic competence and comfort before AOW. Also agree that CZM would be a challenging environment for certification dives. I'd personally do those in Playa which has a much easier diving environment.
There are Cozumel locations that would not be challenging environments for checkout dives. The area out front of Blue Angel comes to mind. It is mostly sheltered from the prevailing current by the stingray pen next door and there is a big flat sandy area 15 - 20 feet deep where there is nothing a diver could harm, and there is easy access to the water from the dive shop. There is also Mateo, their resident instructor, who is great with newbies.

Back
Top Bottom