Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure you buy the correct wrench....if you buy the metric crescent wrench you will destroy the hose. Get the standard one and you'll be just fine!!

Diver`s 2 Piece Wrench Set

Practice laying back on the surface. You'll get the hang of it!!

I got both a Swiss Army knife-style for travel and a full wrench set in Imperial.

can you move the trim weights up any higher?

The trim weight pockets are on the cam band, so move up and down with where I place the BC on the tank.

In my very first experience with a BP/W, I only had a weight belt with no trim weight pockets and I was fine (though it was a real metal plate, not a lighter composite(?) material). I was thinking that maybe I should put no weight in the trim pockets and only use a weight belt, like I normally do with a jacket? I haven't tried that yet. One of the limitations with the weight belt I'm borrowing at the moment is that it's lined with pockets all around the belt in fixed positions. I can't slightly shift weight forward or backward like I would with a weight belt with treaded weights.

3. I'm probably a minority with this opinion. Buy in-lb torque wrench and some crowfoot adaptors and do it right.

I bought three hoses and an SPG from my LDS. I had them install all four. I had to remove a second stage at one point and found that the o-ring between the first stage and hose going to the second stage was extruded from overtightening. When I removed the other three hoses, I found the same in two of them. This is when I became a believer in the torque wrench.

I have found that 1/4 turn past finger tight is waaaay to much for the torque specifications for my regulator when installing a new o-ring (40 in-lbs for a hose fitting, 15 in-lbs for a port plug).

I view it this way: if the LDS can't get it right without a torque wrench, neither can I. If I buy a torque wrench, I can do it better than the LDS. No one truly knows what 15-40 in-lbs feels like, unless they calibrate themself to that feeling on a regular basis. The only way one can calibrate themself to that feeling is to have a torque wrench. If you have a torque wrench, then why aren't you using it?

Reactions: gbf
3. I'm probably a minority with this opinion. Buy in-lb torque wrench and some crowfoot adaptors and do it right.

I bought three hoses and an SPG from my LDS. I had them install all four. I had to remove a second stage at one point and found that the o-ring between the first stage and hose going to the second stage was extruded from overtightening. When I removed the other three hoses, I found the same in two of them. This is when I became a believer in the torque wrench.

I have found that 1/4 turn past finger tight is waaaay to much for the torque specifications for my regulator when installing a new o-ring (40 in-lbs for a hose fitting, 15 in-lbs for a port plug).

I view it this way: if the LDS can't get it right without a torque wrench, neither can I. If I buy a torque wrench, I can do it better than the LDS. No one truly knows what 15-40 in-lbs feels like, unless they calibrate themself to that feeling on a regular basis. The only way one can calibrate themself to that feeling is to have a torque wrench. If you have a torque wrench, then why aren't you using it?

Um... I don't have a torque wrench. I actually haven't heard of it until now, nor crowfoot adapters.

Um... I don't have a torque wrench. I actually haven't heard of it until now, nor crowfoot adapters.
Then let your LDS install your hoses for you. While they are installing your hoses, ask if they have an in-lb (pronounced "inch pound") torque wrench. They probably don't, but they should. If they have one, ask if they will show you how it works.

Then let your LDS install your hoses for you. While they are installing your hoses, ask if they have an in-lb (pronounced "inch pound") torque wrench. They probably don't, but they should. If they have one, ask if they will show you how it works.

I already did it myself.

Why would you suggest that I let the LDS do it when you've already related a story of how they'll mess it up because they'll likely not have a torque wrench?

You said you watched the Alec Peirce video on this so you already know how to do it. In his video he shows how even a hose that is only tightened by hand will make a secure connection, the extra bit of turn with the wrench is simply to prevent it from backing out on it's own.

Yup, watched the video and did it myself. I put that in the follow-up post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom