Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you are completely wrong about historical whaling in Japan, it's Sea Shepherd propaganda that most believe. Japan has whaled for centuries.

Yes, the Japanese have killed & eaten Cetaceans for centuries. Can you supply any info on the their whaling fleet, or where it operated, prior to 1946?

Yes, the Japanese have killed & eaten Cetaceans for centuries. Can you supply any info on the their whaling fleet, or where it operated, prior to 1946?

First whaling fleet was started by Wada Chubei Yorimoto in 17th century in Taiji. Before that, I do not believe whaling was organised much, but it did occur.

Another well known figure is Juro Oka, who modernised whaling in Japan and set up Nihon Enyo Gyogyo K.K in 1899 as a whaling company.

And I believe whaling in the Antarctic by Japan started in the 1930s.

First whaling fleet was started by Wada Chubei Yorimoto in 17th century in Taiji. Before that, I do not believe whaling was organised much, but it did occur.

I believe this was done from small open boats, directed by shore based spotting stations. This was a far cry from the pelagic fleets of the west.

Another well known figure is Juro Oka, who modernised whaling in Japan and set up Nihon Enyo Gyogyo K.K in 1899 as a whaling company.

And I believe whaling in the Antarctic by Japan started in the 1930s.

OK, pelagic whaling started at the beginning of the 20th century, after the acquisition of western technologies & boats. Not really a centuries long tradition, just another commercial enterprise really.

I believe this was done from small open boats, directed by shore based spotting stations. This was a far cry from the pelagic fleets of the west.

OK, pelagic whaling started at the beginning of the 20th century, after the acquisition of western technologies & boats. Not really a centuries long tradition, just another commercial enterprise really.

Well in general things move towards a larger scale as technology improves so nothing you have said is surprising. People say that Japan has no history of taking whales though, which is patently false.

Well in general things move towards a larger scale as technology improves so nothing you have said is surprising.

What, you're agreeing with someone on the internet. :mooner:

People say that Japan has no history of taking whales though, which is patently false.

What people say that? I'v never meet anyone who said it.

In fact Sas, it pisses me off that people make documentaries about the evil Japanese villagers who take cetaceans from the beach, but hardly anyone mentions the same sort of "slaughter" thats done on the Faroe Islands. Ahh, thats right, it's traditional, so it's OK, apparently.

Capt. Paul Watson guarantees that he will reduce their take again by at least 50%.

Wow...I wonder which orifice he will pull this stat from?? I goal should be "measurable":confused: How can he quantify this??

What, you're agreeing with someone on the internet. :mooner:

Yea what can I say, sometimes I just don't feel like stirring people up... :)

What people say that? I'v never meet anyone who said it.

Most people I have argued with about whaling say it. And cdreamer said it here ""Research" in the name of tradition in a place that traditional and culture never took them before. "

In fact Sas, it pisses me off that people make documentaries about the evil Japanese villagers who take cetaceans from the beach, but hardly anyone mentions the same sort of "slaughter" thats done on the Faroe Islands. Ahh, thats right, it's traditional, so it's OK, apparently.

Yes, honestly I would rather zero whales be taken and do not see why Japan is hated on when there are other places that whale as well who no one cares about because it is 'traditional' or something. I like marine life and don't eat any of it. But I eat meat and ruin the environment in other ways (driving, internet, etc), so it's a bit rich for me to be criticial. Endangered species are a different story of course, and they should not be taken full stop.

Most people I have argued with about whaling say it. And cdreamer said it here ""Research" in the name of tradition in a place that traditional and culture never took them before. "

Well, I'd say money got them into pelagic whaling, not tradition or culture.

People say that Japan has no history of taking whales though, which is patently false.

To me, this means something very different to the quote by cdreamer.

PS. I too do all sorts of evil, unsustainable things. Hell, I even dive sometimes. Bloody weather, grump grump.

Well, I'd say money got them into pelagic whaling, not tradition or culture.

Given they are not making money out of whaling these days I would lean towards it more being a tradition :wink:

To me, this means something very different to the quote by cdreamer.

Fair enough. Perhaps s/he can clarify what they meant with it, as to me it sounded like they were implying that Japan has only whaled in modern times.

PS. I too do all sorts of evil, unsustainable things. Hell, I even dive sometimes. Bloody weather, grump grump.

It's been awful here. I am leaving for Mt Gambier in two hours, as at least that way I have guaranteed dives :wink: But it is actually looking like Melbourne will have decent weather finally!

Yes, honestly I would rather zero whales be taken and do not see why Japan is hated on when there are other places that whale as well who no one cares about because it is 'traditional' or something. I like marine life and don't eat any of it. But I eat meat and ruin the environment in other ways (driving, internet, etc), so it's a bit rich for me to be criticial. Endangered species are a different story of course, and they should not be taken full stop.
Japan is hated for it primarilly for two reasons.
1. They call it research and take numbers thats probably way higher than needed for research.
2. They have in the past taken not only taken minke whales but also species that is beyond doubt endangered.

We also have a couple of minor bonuses of course. For one they get very pissed off so its fun to argue with them and make TV about it and AFAIK Watson havent been put in jail for any of his "japanese adventures" yet, unlike what happened when he took a tour in Norway where he was infact sentenced to prison and later captured through interpol and put in jail in the Netherlands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom