Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Japan is hated for it primarilly for two reasons.
1. They call it research and take numbers thats probably way higher than needed for research.
2. They have in the past taken not only taken minke whales but also species that is beyond doubt endangered.

We also have a couple of minor bonuses of course. For one they get very pissed off so its fun to argue with them and make TV about it and AFAIK Watson havent been put in jail for any of his "japanese adventures" yet, unlike what happened when he took a tour in Norway where he was infact sentenced to prison and later captured through interpol and put in jail in the Netherlands.

For point 2, the following countries take endangered species as well: Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and the United States. Maybe more. A lot less hate towards them.

I agree with point 1 though as being part of it.

For point 2, the following countries take endangered species as well: Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and the United States. Maybe more. A lot less hate towards them.

Yeah...we still have a fishery on the "endangered sockeye salmon"...coincidentally they returned to the rivers in the largest numbers ever recorded this year. That gave the so called scientists something to back pedal on.:confused:

I did also notice that the so called "saviors of the planet" don't try to crash into Canadian porbeagle shark fishermen?
I think the average couch environmentalist wouldn't pay for a "Save the porbeagle" sticker for their Volvo.

To clarify myself Sas, "the place" is the South Ocean. Cultural or traditional whaling was coastal, and it never had that far reach on that large of a scale.

In fact Sas, it pisses me off that people make documentaries about the evil Japanese villagers who take cetaceans from the beach, but hardly anyone mentions the same sort of "slaughter" thats done on the Faroe Islands. Ahh, thats right, it's traditional, so it's OK, apparently.

Hell yeah it´s OK
We live of the ocean and we are one with the ocean/nature
We do not kill of hand as we say it not even a fly.
We have no farmable land and if we did the weather makes it impossible.
We do not pursue the whales (If the whales are sighted close to land then we go)
We do not have any commercial whaling
We share the meat/blubber among ourselves nobody goes hungry.
We make sure the whales don´t suffer (it takes seconds too kill a whale with the traditional whale knife which will be banned soon and a new knife will be mandatory that kills the whale in 1 second)
We have ekstensive co/op research on mercury levels with the Americans who are considerd the main cause of the mercury pollution. (An excuse would be in order)
And the Pilot whale is not an endangered species. By far! it is estimated that in a year with alot of GRIND (the whale slaughters as some will call it) we will take 1 maybe 2% of the population. that stated there will actually be years without any GRIND it is all up too nature.

Just had too put it out there.

P.s
Just a fun fact
When America invaded Afganisthan we were the country who had most soldiers there compared too population
they were three men !=).

P.s
Ever in the Faroes give me a call and i will show u some sick diving in the cleanest sea in the world.

I didn't say it pisses me off that traditional hunts are barbaric, or that they occur. I'm an omnivore, I'v done my share of hunting, on land & water, & I'v been in more than one abattoir.

What pisses me off is that the white guys get a pass from the lounge lizards, but the yellow guys get hammered. I think it's more about an underlying bigotry than anything else.

PS. I know Sas is a cynic, & wont agree, but I think the Oz gov. has done as much or more than most in an effort to stop the Japanese whaling in the Southern Ocean. Then again, Sas may be right, & it's all nothing more than a shadow play that benifits both governments. It will be interesting to see what the Oz gov. do if the Japanese start taking our Humbacks, & affecting our whale watching economy.

The yellow guys are just like white guys economically. The aboriginal and Faroe island hunts (can be quite barbaric) aren't cloaked under a scientific sham. The big deal with Japan and it's government is that they subsidize the hunt under a pretext. They deserve to get hammered not for being yellow, but for being BS artists. Same should go for any country using a BS smoke screen. :shakehead:

As per the AUSSIE's - at least they publicly denounce whaling, but at the end of the day trading takes precedence over whale meat. So, nothing with real teeth occurs. Additionally, Japan was quite brutal with the AUSSIE's during WW II and I know many countries dominated and brutalized by Japan (Philipines, China, Korea) in the early half of the 20th Century haven't forgotten about it. Can't blame them really.

Last bit - data. I research a fair amount last season to see if there was a profitability margin. It took a lot of time and at the end of the day was not worth it for me to dissect data when it becomes apparent that all anyone does on these threads is mostly involve themselves in chest thumping/flame throwing. However, I did discover:

a. financial info. was not easily accessible. Seems purposeful on the Japanese side.
b. profit margin (if any) could not be determined
c. operating costs for Japan are HUGE
d. worth/purposefulness of the Antarctic and existing commercial whaling sector - questionable

The late start to the season probably signifies major changes for the rest of this decade. Death of these types of operations due to obsolescence.

X

Back
Top Bottom