Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read in an article that whale farting causes global warming and the Japanese are our last line of defense. Maybe we should support them so Florida doesn't sink. :ijs:

Don't be a child. Read what I said. Context is everything in a world where people of power come to power through means not always related to wisdom, or logic.
Additionally, Japan was quite brutal with the AUSSIE's during WW II and I know many countries dominated and brutalized by Japan (Philipines, China, Korea) in the early half of the 20th Century haven't forgotten about it. Can't blame them really.

X

To a child like me, there is no context, & no place in the discussion, for this.

This just came in from Pete Bethune -

"just got a report that the Japanese fleet is already being followed! A vessel pulled in astern of them as they exited Japanese territory (200nm). Could this be Tas Patrol or a fourth SSCS vessel?"

It might be a SSCS vessel Terri. If they ram the Japanese vessel, start doing dangerous stunts or ask for donations, it would be confirmed.

Well it is a graveyard I know exactly where that is it is public knowledge (but you dont speak Faroese so its gonna be hard too find the info)
there are quite a few around the islands and two for larger whales (have not been hunted for 26 years)
As for the article there is some truth in it but also some crap
The whale pups cannot be eaten and therefor dumped there is no way of knowing which whales are pregnant
That was a shameful killing in Klaksvik and as a result of that there will probably not be whales killed there again
As for the pictures there is nothing wrong there death is never pretty !

You have too be a sick puppy if you would want to dive with carcasses

I would like to ask what specific parts of the article were crap? The facts seem pretty evident - that a large number of whales were killed, that a large portion of the whales killed were not used for meat or other purposes but disposed of by dumping. By the size of the islands and population a very small number of whales could possibly be eaten by the locals this seems well of of context with the number of whales that are killed each year. I agree death is never pretty - I eat meat and have hunted in the past - my current country of residence does not have any hunting- but these grinds as you call them go way beyond hunting for food. The shear number of whales killed each year is way higher than the number needed to feed a relatively small population on the islands.

Just thought I'd chime in and add some fuel to the fire.

When I was in Japan a year ago, I remember seeing at least two restaurants with whale advertised as a special for that night. It was only written in Japanese, though :wink:. I think I have a picture somewhere of a sign for it in the Pontocho district of Kyoto. Didn't have time to try it, although I must admit I was curious. :eat:

If I see clear evidence that the number and type of whales being taken is unsustainable, then I'm all in favor of bans -- including closing this research loophole. I personally think sea shepherds would be better off focusing on things that are clearly in decline and under regulated, like the bluefin tuna. But I guess it's harder to milk money out of your donors for a fish many of them eat.

To a child like me, there is no context, & no place in the discussion, for this.

How difficult is it to understand that policy is not only driven by economics but what happened before? You can make your own rules about what you want to hear, but at end of the day the game of politics (including historical context) and money drive commercial whaling.

X

I would like to ask what specific parts of the article were crap? The facts seem pretty evident - that a large number of whales were killed, that a large portion of the whales killed were not used for meat or other purposes but disposed of by dumping. By the size of the islands and population a very small number of whales could possibly be eaten by the locals this seems well of of context with the number of whales that are killed each year. I agree death is never pretty - I eat meat and have hunted in the past - my current country of residence does not have any hunting- but these grinds as you call them go way beyond hunting for food. The shear number of whales killed each year is way higher than the number needed to feed a relatively small population on the islands.

Ok you brought it up so show me the numbers that you base it on they are publicly available.

Monday, September 13, 2010
Faeroe Islands: The Graveyard of Shame
Commentary by: François-Xavier Pelletier

pilot whale cemetaryOn August 5, 2010 at dawn, 83 pilot whales were murdered (sensationalist) in a narrow hunting bay of the Faeroe Islands called Leynar. The bodies were then transported to the small harbor of Kvivik to be cut into pieces.

A month earlier, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society had sent me to the Faeroe Islands as an undercover operative in order to prepare for the Grind Stop Campaign, which was to be carried out on the Golfo Azzuro, a ship used by Sea Shepherd in partnership with the Brigitte Bardot Foundation. The goal was to save as many pilot whales as possible by interfering with any grind we might come across, and more importantly, to avoid any grind from happening in the first place by using acoustic repulsive devices that would scare the whales away from the deadly bays.

Personally I don´t believe they did drop any acuostic devices and if they did they should pick them up again because ever since the Golfo Azzuro left there have been an unusual amount of whales sighted

When I studied in detail the 23 authorized hunting bays, I came to the conclusion that the next slaughter would most likely take place in Klaksvik. But I had to leave the Faeroes; my place during this campaign would be on board the Golfo, and I had to join this vessel in Holland. I would be onboard as an expert on the grind issue and a strategic consultant.

A few days after I left, Sea Shepherd sent another undercover operative, Peter Hammarstedt, to the Faeroes. While in Klaskvik, Peter was able to document the dead bodies of the 236 slaughtered whales in such horrifying conditions that this particular grind was even criticized by the Faeroese themselves.

I did state that this will probably not be used as a whaling bay again

I was not expecting a grind to happen in Leynar’s bay, which was too narrow and close to more important bays. And yet, within 10 minutes of someone spotting from his window a group of whales that had appeared in the bay out of nowhere, the animals were driven to the beach. Within 7 minutes at the beach, they had all been slaughtered.

It is the best whale bay in the Faroes because it is a very open/wide beach
And 7 minutes to kill 87 whales is very effective. and not uncommon!

It happened so quickly that there was no time for the Golfo to intervene, but I wanted to know where all of the whale bodies wound up. So the next day, I went to shore with Lamya Essemlali, President of Sea Shepherd France and Grind Stop Campaign Leader. All of the village smelled like death; some pieces of meat were still there in garbage bags. Two trucks loaded up the remaining dead bodies and left. Without a car, we were unable to follow them. A fishermen was washing away the blood that was left on the ground. He asked us to follow him and showed us a whale’s head that was hanging from a rope at the entrance of the harbor. It was being used as vulgar bait. I felt revolted by this lack of respect. The next Sunday, at 5:00 in the morning, I was back onboard our small zodiac to dive and document what the Faeroese do with the bodies of the whales they have killed.

I wanted to find the place where they throw the rest of the bodies to find out if the Faeroese tradition of eating all the whales that are killed is actually respected. We tried in vain to gather information that would lead us to a hidden whale graveyard, but the secret was very well kept.

No its not !

pilot whale cemetaryFortunately, a bit of inference together with a strange and almost mystical inspiration drove me straight to that specific spot, where at 24 meters depth, inside a crevasse, was a centennial pilot whale graveyard. I felt nauseous. The bodies of the 86 pilot whales who had been killed on August 5 were piled there. Their heads danced with the current. They almost looked alive, and I had the strange feeling that they were crying for help. What happened to me down there was extremely strange. I knew no one on the surface would believe me, but I had the feeling I had entered a silent universe where the cetaceans cried out in despair.

The scene was distressing. Fetuses were mixed with entire adult bodies, and there were a lot of young whales, too. It was such a waste that even hunters would not tolerate it.

The only whales that don´t get used are fetuses!

Back on board the Golfo, I was in shock and yet more determined than ever to fight until we have put an end to this apocalyptic, anti-traditional slaughter.

The way we kill the whales on the beach has not changed in hundred of years if anything has changed it is too the more humane killing as we don´t use the old SOKNARONGUL anymore that had a knife now we put it in the blowhole and drag the whale up on the beach.

An entire pilot whale’s body was floating next to our ship.

If this was true were are the pictures ?

How can anyone believe that the grind is still a necessity? This so-called tradition has become nothing more than a macho and bloody game that is meant to demonstrate one’s virility and impress the girls who watch on the beach. It is similar to bullfighting, and it is a shame for the Faeroese people, who can be so remarkable on other human, social, and even ecological issues.

WTF are you comparing a bullfight (tormenting an animal until it cannot stand on its own and lays down for you to kill it) to a whale killing where the most important thing is to kill the whales as fast as possible with as little pain as possible.

In memory of an earlier time when the Faeroese had sunk my boat, flattened the four tires of my car, and thrown me in jail under the only accusation of filming the slaughter of pilot whales

Yeah I know what happened there You guys came and started to fire emergency flares/rockets/hooks after people, trying to ram boats, what do you expect we will do! when we associate you with them. we are a peace full people and you brought the violence/hate !

Back
Top Bottom