Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, I would read it differently.

Ady Gil was clearly the overtaking vessel - she moved from astern at the start of the video, to ahead, and then cuts in front. The rules posted state that in this situation she is still considered the overtaking vessel and is obliged to keep clear.

Rule 13d is applicable, as it is clear the Ady Gil was not past and clear. There is little doubt in my mind this is a stunt by Sea Shepherd.

Even if it was not, putting your fibre glass hull in the way of a steel hulled whaling vessel is crassly bad seamanship and the "Captain" of the Ady Gil was clearly endangering the life of his crew by getting that close the fishing boat in the first place.

It looks like she is cutting across not coming from astern on the video I was looking at

Whalers sink Sea Shepherd boat - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Bad seamanship any way you look at it. We all know their tactics are to cut in front of ships. Really, really, bad idea as the video shows.

That wake behind her doesn't look like she's sitting still, the video challenges the veracity of Sea Shepherd's press releases.

This incident will probably used to justify the upcoming ramming of a whaler with their new ice hardened vessel

Note that Geoff lives in Tokyo. That should pretty much sum up his objectionability.

First I'm very glad no one got seriously hurt since I value human lives as much as animal ones.

Also glad the SS ship is a total loss. A new wreck to dive :D What comes around...

Note that Geoff lives in Tokyo. That should pretty much sum up his objectionability.
Yeah, cause thats a really good argument for him having to agree or disagree with a certain japanese policy isnt it?
I guess you blindly agree with everything clinton, bush and obama has done as well then since youre living in the USA?

And I note that you live in California, which some would say sums up yours... :cool2:

My 5 cents...
Sea Sheperd bought this useless boat just to have it crushed like this. Any PR is good PR! I mean, look at how it behaves in the seas!! Which would you prefer to be in? This one, or one of their super-RIBs?

I don't either, but I do have a difference of opinion when it comes to sentient, social species whose numbers have been decimated by past whaling activities.

And I hope you don't mind if my friends the Xanadusians enjoy eating the flesh of human beings like yourself when they arrive from their planet. We are all part of the Mutual Eating Society... and humans may NOT always be THE apex predators.

Sure, but like all good prey I won't make it easy for them. We just need to give the whales some weapons.

BTW: *%*# Sea Shepards. They need to watch the south park episode.

They really kept this a closely guarded secret. Sea Shepherd showed their hand
with the "Ady Gil", formerly "Earthrace", but meanwhile in Africa they had this up
their sleeve. Great strategy.

yeah right... :shakehead:

I see the idiots crewing the Ady Gil engineered a collision with one of the Japanese whaling ships and got themselves sunk.

This madness has to end or people will die.

If the camera was running, it served it's purpose.

Lets' watch it again sports fans!

[youtubehq]-dXCR9LX-Kc[/youtubehq]

They are seen as pirates. I despise whaling but the Sea Shepard crew are idiots.

that's one of the best statements of this thread. :thumb:

They (SS) really have their pants down on this one, don't they...

Look guys, I support SUSTAINABLE whaling. I do not, however, consider everything the Japanese do as sustainable.

And I note that you live in California, which some would say sums up yours... :cool2:

Or you could extrapolate that further and say since I live anywhere in the world that isn't Japan or Norway sums up mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom