BREAKING NEWS ... U.S Airways plane in Hudson River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... I guess a hero could be the engineer who designed the craft so hydraulics still worked after the engines quit......

Not a hero. Just a regular educated engineer doing his (or her) job. The same as the team who successfully desiged the engine mountings to fracture under the crash loads. Flight control systems that fail on the loss of engine power would be unthinkable (and uncertifiable). APU still runs fine.

Hell, Aeroflot would put this baby back in the air, as is. Maybe duct tape on a rebuilt engine... or maybe not.
Too true. I'll pilot or fly in 'most anything but I draw the line at Aeroflot. And as far as pilot Sully being a hero; that's what he's paid to do. He, and his kind, were heroes long before his A320 made the splash. Doesn't take a government program (or the news media) to declare HIM a hero.

Earlier on Wednesday, the city’s Police Department confirmed that a large object detected by sonar was the missing left engine that broke off from the jet after it landed in the waterway last week.

Two divers, equipped with hand-held sonar, followed an anchor line down more than 60 feet to the 16-foot-long and 8-foot-wide object, first detected on Monday. There, they came within a few feet of the object and were verbally directed closer to it by a police official on a launch who was monitoring their progress by watching the images from sonar.

The divers went into the water at 2:35 p.m and confirmed they had the engine within 10 minutes, surfacing by 3 p.m., a police spokesman, Paul J. Browne, said. Visibility was six inches in front of them.
I really miss that NY area diving.

That could make for one cool DPV..

Gary D.

I've been involved in some jet turbine testing before and I'm surprised the engine didn't handle the bird in-take better.... (meaning it just "digested" the bird).

I don't know what kind of engine was on this particular A320, but the other engines I've seen tested they can shoot a chicken up there and it pretty much "takes it".

Of course a goose is slighly larger than a chicken, but not terribly.

I've been involved in some jet turbine testing before and I'm surprised the engine didn't handle the bird in-take better.... (meaning it just "digested" the bird).

I don't know what kind of engine was on this particular A320, but the other engines I've seen tested they can shoot a chicken up there and it pretty much "takes it".

AFAIK, the 'standard' engine bird-strike test uses a 4 lb bird. (Don't forget to thaw the chicken. :D) The requirement is that the engine be capable of being safely shut down, with no engine parts making holes at high speed through other parts of the aircraft. Continued functionality is not a requirement, although I believe all modern engines do, as you said.

Some news reports have suggested the birds may have been Canada Geese. (TBD by DNA testing, now that they've found bird parts to test.) Full sized adults average 9-12 lbs. Large birds and multiple bird strikes have long been a concern in the air safety community, particularly since the existing certification standards don't deal with these issues.

(Wikipedia is your friend.)

My recollection is that there are certification tests required for single large birds (such as the chicken) and also multiple small birds such as Starlings. Multiple strikes of geese would be asking a bit much of any engine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom