Breath-Holding Advice for U/W Swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wednesday night I made it across the pool in one breath!
:wave-smil

After taking a few tips from this thread and watching that video, I figured out that I wasn't really gliding well, I was pulling too soon and loosing momentum. Now I'm taking my time to breathe, getting a good push off and gliding as much as I can.

I feel so much better knowing it's something that I can actually accomplish.
thanks everyone

Congrats on making it in the pool. In my OW class with NAUI we were not allowed to push off the wall. When I've done it in subsequent classes this was not allowed either. It may be different with your instructor. Fair warning.

lowwall:
<snip>A couple tips on dealing with the anxiety while breathholding. First, do some breathholding while swimming on the surface. Since you can get air by just lifting your head, your body won't have any cause to panic. Second, do the push off and add a stroke at a time practice I mentioned in my last post.

<snip>
- underwater, concentrating on form push off and glide as far as you can, return to wall and repeat 5 times
- underwater, concentrating on form push off, glide, take one stroke and glide as far as you can, return to wall and repeat 5 times
- repeat adding strokes until you feel you are getting to your breathholding limit, the idea here is to work on your technique and comfort underwater, not to go for your distance record

distance attempt
- go for max distance using tips from previous posts, 2 or 3 tries with plenty of rest

<snip>

If you haven't reached the 20M by then, on the last day before you leave, do the distance attempt right after the warmup so you are still fresh. I bet you won't have any trouble.
Thank you for the exercises, lowwall! I'm so busy concentrating on distance that my comfort level takes a backseat. (NOT the way to go!)

I had my final swimming lesson today before I leave and it wasn't all that helpful. What I did learn though was that I'm working way too hard while I'm u/w. So I'll try to slow down my flutter kick and see if that helps. (I tried practicing the frog kick on my own and it's just pathetic. I barely move!)

One thing I've been practicing while I'm out walking is breath-holding after pausing at a red light. I'm hoping since I'm able to walk briskly for more than 20M, I'll be able to translate it to the pool u/w. Now if I could just relax! :wink:

Nay,

Congratulations on your 25M! I told you you could do it! :D

annasea:
So I'll try to slow down my flutter kick and see if that helps. (I tried practicing the frog kick on my own and it's just pathetic. I barely move!)

Kicking is not the best way to move underwater unless you are wearing fins. USE YOUR ARMS and WHOLE BODY! Arms will move more water than feet and your body should be streamlined.

~Marlinspike

Marlinspike:
Kicking is not the best way to move underwater unless you are wearing fins. USE YOUR ARMS and WHOLE BODY! Arms will move more water than feet and your body should be streamlined.

~Marlinspike

You echo Umberto's material regarding dynamic apnea without fins

To become a freedive instructor thru Apnea Academy, one has to show excellent proficiency of chapters 8 & 9 of his book. He describes the concept of becoming fluid with the water - not in it. Moving to that level of presence and awareness takes some effort initially, but it does work - I found myself doing that very thing today while at the pool doing my 600yrds of dynamic apnea laps and 400yrds swimming breast stroke.

By practicing some of his methodologies, my relaxation underwater is increasing - to the point where by the time I get to my 8th set in DWF, I could actually turn around and continue underwater another 10 yrds - a real eye opening experience. I'm looking forward to the point where I can repeatedly do 25yrds at the surface and 50 underwater.. :wink:

why is that?

theres a good reason PADI is the most recognized organization in SCUBA diving.

anakin:
why is that?

theres a good reason PADI is the most recognized organization in SCUBA diving.

:lol:

yup sure is.. Marketing... And reduced entry standards for Scuba certs..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom