Breath Holding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dumb question...when relaxed and sitting in a chair, my max breath hold time is 1:15, but when I swim underwater while holding breath the best I can do is about 15 seconds. Is this normal? Is it just mental, the result of the greater CO2 generated by the exertion of swimming underwater, or what?

mccabejc:
Dumb question...when relaxed and sitting in a chair, my max breath hold time is 1:15, but when I swim underwater while holding breath the best I can do is about 15 seconds. Is this normal? Is it just mental, the result of the greater CO2 generated by the exertion of swimming underwater, or what?

Try relaxing, talking 3 nice deep cleansing breaths (Don't get carried away and hyperventilate.) and then hold a good breath and pike down. Send your legs up out of the water to help you get down. If you're bouyancy is right a few kick will just about get you sinking, but not quite for a while. relax, be one with the water and head up when you're ready. Once down kick slow, like you were diving, without all the gear you'll be amazed fow well you go.

That said I think my topside static still beats my UW.

Start slow and relax, relax, relax.

Pete

mccabejc:

not a dumb question at all. I notice you said "relaxed and sitting"...vs "swim underwater". Ever tried holding your breath and jogging in place? The exertion aspect is a BIG aspect of how long you can hold your breath. I freedive frequently and although I can hold my breath nearly two minutes sitting in a chair, I normally don't freedive for more than a minute or so. I attribute this mostly to exertion...as the mental aspect has diminished a bit for me over the years. Relaxation under the water is key. Training in a pool is good practice.....taking long, slow strokes to get from one end to the other. ALWAYS DO THIS WITH SOMEONE WATCHING. Another excercise I like to do is hook my legs on the edge of the pool and then lean back into the water and force my back to the side of the pool. Doing this you are not exerting a lot of energy, yet you are definately submerged so it can help train you mentally.

BTW - any cardio training you do will increase your breath hold time.

spectrum:
Try relaxing, talking 3 nice deep cleansing breaths (Don't get carried away and hyperventilate.) and then hold a good breath and pike down. Send your legs up out of the water to help you get down. If you're bouyancy is right a few kick will just about get you sinking, but not quite for a while. relax, be one with the water and head up when you're ready. Once down kick slow, like you were diving, without all the gear you'll be amazed fow well you go.

That said I think my topside static still beats my UW.

Start slow and relax, relax, relax.

Pete

this is good advice. The thing is to take 3 deep breaths in and all the way out. For the breath you are going to hold make sure you really fill your lungs as much as you can. Another thing to try is to focus on somthing small on the bottom..give it your full attention....this will help you relax. never look at a timer as your preconceptions will send you to the surface faster.....

good luck, be safe

Yeah, I did the 3 breath thing. That's how I went from 00:45 while relaxed to 01:15 :D I guess the rest of it is relaxing and not working too hard underwater. When I was swimming UW, I had no fins and was using my arms and legs, so that probably contributed to the exertion.

mccabejc:
Yeah, I did the 3 breath thing. That's how I went from 00:45 while relaxed to 01:15 :D I guess the rest of it is relaxing and not working too hard underwater. When I was swimming UW, I had no fins and was using my arms and legs, so that probably contributed to the exertion.

Yea, you got the idea. On the last exhale I make it a deeeep one almost to a groan and than take a deep breath. I may do one pull with my arms as I go under but then they are at my side unless I'm reaching for something, like golf balls.

One you fnd the groove it's surreal.

Pete

mccabejc:

Fricken duuhhhh ,dude... :D How long can you hold your breath after getting pitched over the falls on the set of the day after paddling through a 5 wave set......vs sitting in your chair watching TV? :D I free dive quite a bit and the first dive of the day is always short. Don't know why. Maybe you get used to the feeling of being low on air? But I float on the surface and relax for a minute or so between dives (like sitting in your chair) and can go longer. Hank

mccabejc:

interesting physiology of freediving....

http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/233

hi guys.
i have always had this question when i test myself how long i can hold my breath for in the pool:
when u do the 3 deep breaths before hand, do you inhale through you mouth or nose? i was told that inhaling with your mouth makes the air goes into your stomach while using your nose will send the air down the lungs.
which way is safer and can hold the air in a little longer?
when doing the test on the surface of the pool, are you meant to hold your breathe in or keep exhaling little bubbles?
does swimming laps in the pool help develope a larger lung capacity? or any drills?

thanks
keep breathing......:)

I'm just usually mucking around in the 15-20 foot range and I'm out there snorkeling so breathing I'm through my mouth. When I skin or scuba dive all of my breathing is though my mouth so it must be going to my lungs.

More serious freedivers I'm sure will respond with refined techinques that include no snorkel (too much drag) packing techiques to get the most out of a dive.

When you're diving without scuba you only have one atmosphere of air in your lungs so there is no need to release a stream of bubbles. That will reduce you bouyancy and make it harder to surface. You may loose some equalizing you ears or releiving mask squeeze. Sometimes releasing a little air from your lungs can relive the sensation of CO2 buildup for all but serious divers with spotters that's teasing shallow water blackout. Since you're intersted in extending your breathhold diving diving times I urge you to search here and/or through google for the term "shallow water blackout" and gain an understanding of this risk.

Anything that improves you aerobic/cardio capacity is a good thing.

Pete

kjpwong:
hi guys.
i have always had this question when i test myself how long i can hold my breath for in the pool:
when u do the 3 deep breaths before hand, do you inhale through you mouth or nose? i was told that inhaling with your mouth makes the air goes into your stomach while using your nose will send the air down the lungs.
which way is safer and can hold the air in a little longer?
when doing the test on the surface of the pool, are you meant to hold your breathe in or keep exhaling little bubbles?
does swimming laps in the pool help develope a larger lung capacity? or any drills?

thanks
keep breathing......:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom