Breath Holding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do a google search on Static Apnea Training and you find some good articles on training methods. There are some dry land training techniques that will allow the average person to increase their dry land resting breath hold to at least 4 minutes without too much time. There is also some information on pool safety as well. You can search spearboard.com as well with the same information and you will find some good posts on this topic.

Good luck..............but be careful!!

Boy, you guys are right. This is so much a mental exercise. I was doing some more pool work today, and decided to see how much of it was mental. So I did some face down, gentle swimming on the surface, holding my breath, and could easily last 1:15. But I did the same level of exertion swimming along the bottom of the pool (3-6 ft.), and the best I could muster is about 0:35 seconds.

Apparently my brain doesn't like me submerging. But what's interesting is that after I showed my brain how irrational it's being (it WILL allow 1:15 with my head underwater, just not totally submerged), I think it relented and let me do 0:35 submerged. And that's 10-15 seconds better than I was doing yesterday.

So the key is: shame your brain into submission. :D

Tried again today in the pool. Realized that my best times where when I first hit the water after I'd been relaxing for a while, when my breathing is very relaxed and shallow (like while you're sitting and watching TV). So today I tried some very relaxed, normal breathing, with just one deep exhale and a final deep inhale (stomach then chest) just prior to going under. I think the series of 3 deep inhale/exhales was screwing up my relaxation. Anyway, VOILA !!! My times were consistently between 40 and 50 seconds while swimming underwater, which is at least double what I was doing two days ago. I also noticed that the contractions weren't nearly as strong as they've been. I think part of it was also the exercise I'm doing where I start my session by first floating calmly on the surface with my face underwater. Today I did 1:30 that way, and I think it gets my brain in gear.

Not to jump in on your conversation, but I was perusing the threads looking for info on this device that increases your lung volume through repetitive breathing exercises against a resistance valve and the part about your face in the water caught my eye. Although I don't remember all the physiology exactly, there is a neuro-reflex that is triggered (I think) when your face is emersed in cool water and I think it might be the "dolphin reflex". Your heart rate drops and vessels constrict and shunt blood to only vital organs. Babies respond to this and that is why they do not aspirate when underwater for short periods. I am wanting to freedive better on my trip to Palau coming up when we camp near Big Drop-off.(New drop-off?). I am curious if there are any warning signs of shallow water black-out. I know it is caused by a sudden drop in the partial pressure of O2 when you ascend, but I wonder if you can ever anticipate the danger zone?

catherine96821:
Not to jump in on your conversation, but I was perusing the threads looking for info on this device that increases your lung volume through repetitive breathing exercises against a resistance valve and the part about your face in the water caught my eye. Although I don't remember all the physiology exactly, there is a neuro-reflex that is triggered (I think) when your face is emersed in cool water and I think it might be the "dolphin reflex". Your heart rate drops and vessels constrict and shunt blood to only vital organs. Babies respond to this and that is why they do not aspirate when underwater for short periods. I am wanting to freedive better on my trip to Palau coming up when we camp near Big Drop-off.(New drop-off?). I am curious if there are any warning signs of shallow water black-out. I know it is caused by a sudden drop in the partial pressure of O2 when you ascend, but I wonder if you can ever anticipate the danger zone?

Hey catherine96821,
Great to see you in the freediving forum. First of all, I think very highly of the inspiratory/expiratory muscle trainers that you are speaking of. I have personally used one for years. They work on the same general principle of lifting weights, the overload principle. When you stress your body, it adapts by getting stronger, in this case the diaphragm is gaining in strength.
Also, the "mammalian dive reflex" is a wondrous thing. Each person has it, it just requires some effort to induce something that has been lying dormant for years. Research has shown that the reflex is actually triggered by cold water immersion in contact with the cell receptors around the lips and eyes. Pretty awesome stuff!
Shallow water blackout? Unfortunately, there usually is not a red flag that goes up just prior to the blackout. It often occurs without warning. I have video of a friend who is coming up from a 75 foot extended freedive in Cayman. In the video he is seen making exaggerated leg kicks and clawing towards the surface. He mentioned afterward that his legs started feeling heavy but otherwise had no type of forewarning. My best advice, in which you will hear from many others as well, is to stay within YOUR limits, not necessarily your buddy's and make sure you are diving with someone well versed in emergency response.
You mentioned "danger zone", if you are experiencing contractions in your abdomen, then you are well into your "danger zone".
Have an awesome time in Palau!

Thank-you for that, extremely helpful. I guess every time I try I feel like I am pushing my limit a little. I am very cautious at the surface but I do notice that at depth mostly scuba but even freediving, the longer I stay down, the less I care or worry about what could happen. I am almost always in some altered almost euphoric state and it is only scarey when I think about it after-the -fact. I am not even sure they are the same phenomena, I might just be narced a little, I especially notice after long quiet periods with a macro lense that I lose track of time and get too complacent.

I am taking pictures of some RIFFE freedivers in a few weeks and I am sure I will get inspired! Thanks.

catherine96821:
Thank-you for that, extremely helpful. I guess every time I try I feel like I am pushing my limit a little. I am very cautious at the surface but I do notice that at depth mostly scuba but even freediving, the longer I stay down, the less I care or worry about what could happen. I am almost always in some altered almost euphoric state and it is only scarey when I think about it after-the -fact. I am not even sure they are the same phenomena, I might just be narced a little, I especially notice after long quiet periods with a macro lense that I lose track of time and get too complacent.

I am taking pictures of some RIFFE freedivers in a few weeks and I am sure I will get inspired! Thanks.

I guess I should rephrase. If you want to improve in freediving, of course you'll have to extend yourself. It's when we push those limits to the max when we find ourselves in trouble. I have been freediving for many years and, yes, I extend myself. I too, have that euphoric feeling that comes with a long dive (my goal on a freedive IS to lose track of time).
Pics of RIFFE divers? Are you referring to the family? That would be neat!

Hey, do you know what that little device is called? The one that increases volume through repetitive resistance? Riffe guys are "your family"? Got any tips on what a nice shot would be? (Perspective, etc?)

catherine96821:
Hey, do you know what that little device is called? The one that increases volume through repetitive resistance? Riffe guys are "your family"? Got any tips on what a nice shot would be? (Perspective, etc?)

The one I found was Expand-A-Lung. I think it works pretty well. I don't use it as religiously as the directions say but I feel it has improved my lung strength. But I've also been training more period so I don't know if its mainly that or just a combination of training and the device. Here's the website...

http://www.expand-a-lung.com/

catherine96821:

Yes there is Expand-A-Lung, Power Lung, Powerbreathe and Sports Breather to name a few. They range in price from $22-$105 or you could go to the local convenient store and get a small diameter coffee straw (coffee optional).
No, the Riffe guys are not family, I was wondering if you were doing photos of Julie or Greg(I believe) or if this was a Riffe spearing team? No photo tips, still working on how to operate the camera. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom