Breath Holding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater:
Very interesting Freediver.
So, do you use the device during just breathing exercises, or, do you also use it while doing cardio work?
And would this be the same as hypoxic drills, where you try to force your body to make due with less O2? I'd read that hypoxic drills are supposed to increase the amount of hemoglobin in your blood, which as I understand it, it's the hemoglobin in blood that actually carries the oxygen.
Ever tried swimming with that thing in your mouth? I'm afraid I'd forget, and try to breathe through it like a snorkel (face down). :11:
I use mine during breathing exercises and sometimes during some stationary cycling. My hypoxic training consists of cycling or walking a certain time or distance while in a state of apnea. It gets difficult but is highly effective in functioning with limited O2 and building up the tolerance to CO2. heehee I'm afraid it doesn't work in the water. A center mount snorkel is very good for hypoxic training though.

catherine96821:
Pics of RIFFE divers? Are you referring to the family? That would be neat!

Just to get back to you freediver, It was Jill Riffe and some Riffe sponsored divers here for a contest. I posted the pics in Hawaii Ohana under Riffe freedivers.[/QUOTE]
WOW! Great pics Catherine! Did you spear any?

okay everybody when u are holding your breath under water u do not use up any oxygen your lungs start to contract so i dont think the amount of oxygen in the blood really matters

Of course your body is "using up" the oxygen, that's how you stay alive! And it does matter how much oxygen is in your bloodstream cus that's what you are using while you hold your breath. Even if you are able to relax every other muscle in your body (and you likely can't) muscles like your heart need oxygen to operate. When good fredivers breathup to prepare for a breathold (static, motionless or diving, to depth) they are supercharging their blood with O2. Just before they hold they "purge" the CO2 buildup in the lower portion of their lungs (CO2 drives the wish to breath) and then use a technique they learn called packing to super inflate their lungs as much as 25%. This is accomplished using the mouth and throat as a pump to inflate the lungs. All these techniques as well as fitness training and body control allow world class divers to hold for up to about 9 minutes (static, motionless at the surface). It is not about 3 quick breaths to clear the lungs and certainly NOT about hyperventilating.

I haven't read the whole thread, just the last two posts, but I've noticed that if I'm swimming lengths of the pool underwater, the more relaxed I can swim, the farther I can go. When I first get in, it takes be a couple of tries to get the relaxed feel back. So, it seems clear to me that the extra effort is using up more O2 and swimming in a relaxed fashion is much more efficient for distance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom