breathholding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Can someone recommend a book or video course on snorkelers who want to dive down to a reef 30-50 feet deep and stay on a reef for a few minutes. I am not a pure free diver for sport. Just need some tips on extending my breath holding on reefs.

I free dived down to about 30' in Honduras and thought I was good to go.
But I made it back to the surface just in time to take a breath.
It can get dangerous.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Blue-Water-Hunting-Freediving-2020-Edition-p/bwhf.htm

This is a great book written by my friend Dr. Terry Maas and I can recommend it highly.

BWHF-2T.jpg

However, freediving to 50 feet (let alone a 2-minute dive time) is a much different activity than "snorkeling" and it should be approached with all the respect it deserves.

I highly recommend that you consider taking a freedive class which will teach you many important techniques to extend your "safe zone", but you will also learn how to recover a buddy who has had a problem and also how important it is to dive with a buddy who will watch you and be able to assist.

dive safe
dano

I highly recommend that you consider taking a freedive class which will teach you many important techniques to extend your "safe zone", but you will also learn how to recover a buddy who has had a problem and also how important it is to dive with a buddy who will watch you and be able to assist.

I could not agree more. I took the PFI Intermediate Freediving course and can say it is the only diving class I have taken that was worth spit since getting out of the US Navy.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Blue-Water-Hunting-Freediving-2020-Edition-p/bwhf.htm

This is a great book written by my friend Dr. Terry Maas and I can recommend it highly.

View attachment 647114

However, freediving to 50 feet (let alone a 2-minute dive time) is a much different activity than "snorkeling" and it should be approached with all the respect it deserves.

dive safe
dano

Thanks!!! Good advice

According to statistics about accidents released by the Italian Coast Guard, snorkeling/free diving is approximately 10 times MORE dangerous than scuba diving.
Hence proper training is highly recommended...

Always dive with a buddy. One up, one down. Almost lost a step son. Lucky his brother was waiting on the surface and saw him stop swimming up, blow out all his air and start sinking. He got him to the surface unconscious. Pounded his chest and stomach and he coughed and vomited up water. Got him in the boat and drove the 13 miles home. I rushed him to the hospital where he spent the night. He's ok but....sh't....too close.
You think it will never happen....until it does.

As one who has suffered shallow water blackout in a swim team underwater swimming competition in my teen years, I could not agree more. Training in free diving techniques is extremely important. Look at the book, but also take a course.

Now, about buddy free diving. Be sure that the buddy has the capability to rescue you. You and your buddy need to be at equal skill levels.

SeaRat

As one who has suffered shallow water blackout in a swim team underwater swimming competition in my teen years, I could not agree more. Training in free diving techniques is extremely important. Look at the book, but also take a course.

Now, about buddy free diving. Be sure that the buddy has the capability to rescue you. You and your buddy need to be at equal skill levels.

SeaRat
Agreed. Instabuddy isn't a good idea for free diving. Especially spearfishing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom