breathing dry air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have had a problem after diving trying to eat solid food get pain in my solar plexus area. But after about 2-3 hours its gone no more pain. Has anybody ever had the same problem or is it the way I breath the dry air in the tanks.

I have had a problem after diving trying to eat solid food get pain in my solar plexus area. But after about 2-3 hours its gone no more pain. Has anybody ever had the same problem or is it the way I breath the dry air in the tanks.

Hi @Jeff Rinehart ,

I don't think this is related to dry air. From your description it sounds more GI in origin. If you already have reflux, diving can aggravate it. Have you seen a gastroenterologist?

<edit> does this happen after every dive? What kind of conditions are you diving in? Asking because pulmonary barotrauma and mediastinal emphysema should be ruled out too, although I think this is lower on the differential.

Best regards,
DDM

That’s what happened to me 7 years ago. I got heartburn when I did a negative entry. Gastroenterologist put a camera into my stomach and saw that I had scars on my esophagus that led to stomach acid leaking into my throat during the negative entry. It took me 5 years to heal by taking Dexilant, eating the right food, fixing my bad habit of sleeping after eating. I now eat at least 3 hours before going to bed.

I had a real bad reflux reaction after diving when I first started. Also like above from being inverted. I solved mine by being very careful what I eat before I dive as well as avoiding extended inversion.

How so? What do you eat and what do you avoid to eat before the dive?
I think this will be different for different people... You probably know what gives you heartburn above water. For me coffee was a big trigger. So a breakfast of coffee and like an omelet would not be good for me. I have tea and something light.

If reflux is bad enough that you get a bad attack when inverted, you might consider some of the OTC acid reflux meds. Made a big difference for me, in addition to watching what I eat. OJ is a big no-no due to the acid.

Follow this advice:
The Best and Worst Foods When You Have Acid Reflux

It took me 5 years to correct my 20+ years of bad habit & bad diet. I now can do negative entry without heartburn.

No more scars on my esophagus that had caused stomach acid to leak through & giving heartburn. If the scars left untreated, they could turn into cancer, according to gastroenterologist. So, get serious and change your eating habit & diet.

Follow this advice:
The Best and Worst Foods When You Have Acid Reflux

It took me 5 years to correct my 20+ years of bad habit & bad diet. I now can do negative entry without heartburn.

No more scars on my esophagus that had caused stomach acid to leak through & giving heartburn. If the scars left untreated, they could turn into cancer, according to gastroenterologist. So, get serious and change your eating habit & diet.

All of the good stuff is off the list now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom