Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yoga is good way to learn breathing control. Another one is following an advanced freediving course (Apnea Academy or the like).

We're talking about breathing control. How does a freediving course help you with that. Don't you hold your breath during a free dive?

This is how I was trained, back in the seventies, mostly using the ARO (oxygen rebreather), but also with air scuba.

Having tried your suggestions for the last 4/5 dives I have to say I am impressed. I've always felt CO2 management was a bit of a problem for me as I often experienced mild headaches after air dives, but not with Nitrox. Now after trying your techniques I feel like I dive on Nitrox even if I'm diving air!
It must be the more efficient CO2 elimination. My SAC is stable at 11l/m or .39cfm. However I feel like I will have to practise a lot more, especially on the inhale I think I'm too fast, the cycle now looks something like 2 sec inhale - 10 sec pause - 10 exhale...

11 l/min is very very good (my one is 13), I would not try to reduce it further.
10 sec pause is too long, and 2s inhale too fast. You should quickly fill your lungs well above half, then slow the rate and continue inhaling slowly, for 5-10s. Then you make a short inspiratory pause (2-5 seconds, depending on your muscular effort).
Finally you exhale, initially very slowly, until lungs are just half empty
At this point you can speed up, and eliminate quickly the CO2 from your lungs.
Everyone has a slightly different geometry of your respiratory system, you see these differences in the chart of your spirometry. So you should find the proper respiratory cycle which works better for your lungs.
In any case, you confirmed my point: a proper breathing method has the main effect of eliminating CO2, not of reducing SAC..

We're talking about breathing control. How does a freediving course help you with that. Don't you hold your breath during a free dive?
You learn to ventilate properly before and after the apnea.
Before for capturing as much oxygen is possible and eliminating CO2, and after for recovering as quickly as posdible, avoiding that the large amount of CO2 triggers dyspnea.
In case of deep diving, a special lung compression technique can be used for pushing blood away from lungs and being able to inhale more air in the last breath, which reduces the effects of blood shift.

You learn to ventilate properly before and after the apnea.
Before for capturing as much oxygen is possible and eliminating CO2, and after for recovering as quickly as posdible, avoiding that the large amount of CO2 triggers dyspnea.
In case of deep diving, a special lung compression technique can be used for pushing blood away from lungs and being able to inhale more air in the last breath, which reduces the effects of blood shift.
I saw in some TDI material that they recommend to breathe in from the bottom (using the diaphragm) and breathe out from the top.

Since you seem to have a lot to say on the topic, do you have an opinion on this as well ?

I saw in some TDI material that they recommend to breathe in from the bottom (using the diaphragm) and breathe out from the top.

Since you seem to have a lot to say on the topic, do you have an opinion on this as well ?
The diaphragm is more effective creating depression inside lungs. Instead chest muscles workbetter contracting, squeezing the chest.
Hence better to use the first for inhaling and the seconds for exhaling.
This, indeed, has no effect on CO2 elimination. Instead it has good effect in reducing the effort required for a complete respiratory cycle.
If you remember my list, this was the second goal of a proper breathing control.

I think the idea of "releasing the top" so to speak has to do with not increasing the pressure (and work of breathing which slightly reduces CO2 ) into a closed system, if that makes sense. Open the mouth and oropharnyx first (which by increasing the diameter of the oropharnyx increases flow) then the air has less resistance on exhalation as the chest muscles and diaphragm "collapse".

Indeed on TDI web sites you find quite correct recommendations for reducing SAC and avoiding CO2 retention. See here, for example:
3 Ways to Improve Your Air Consumption - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI
They say: "Being underwater is both exciting and also a bit stressful at first. When people are excited, their breathing rate tends to increase. As you breathe faster, you tend to breathe shallower. Fast shallow breaths are very inefficient for gas exchange, and your body starts to build up carbon dioxide (CO2). As CO2 builds up, your body’s natural response is to increase your breathing rate. It’s a vicious cycle that results in a vastly increased air consumption rate and shorter dives. Relax and focus on your breathing, with extra attention on the exhalations. Make sure you are ridding your body of all of the built up CO2, and you will see a drastic improvement in your air consumption."
This explains perfectly why a proper breathing technique removes CO2 from your body, and also indirectly reduces your SAC.
Instead, allowing your body to breath "freely", without exerting any control, results in a very inefficient ventilation, causing an high SAC and a bad headache after emerging, due to CO2 retention.

There is something I didn’t mention because it goes against a lot of the posts here.

There are many people here who are saying to not retain your breath and to breathe normally.

Personally, I know I breathe much faster naturally that I need to. I also know that doctors always mentioned that I have very high lung capacity and peak flow. (I get tested annually because I am asthmatic)

I found that my SAC is extremely high if I breathe normally and using the slow breathing (the one mentioned by @Angelo Farina) made a big difference for me. I think that naturally I just breathe fast and deep. Also when I focus a bit on breathing slower I have no feeling that I am out of breath ...

Back
Top Bottom