Bringing my own live aboard inflatable life vest ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the years I've read many reports of unexpected/sudden live aboard sinkings, and finally purchased my own 'Mustang Survival' "Manual Inflatable PFD" (38 lbs lift). They sell many different models, I bought the only model with pure manual inflation and no CO2 cartridge, to avoid air travel issues with any full, compressed gas cartridges. It's surprisingly light/compact yet high quality, great for airline space/weight limitations. I've never liked the klutzy standard issue ones offered on dive boats, plus I can have the unit in my room for Immediate access in the event of a middle-of-the-night OMG we're sinking/electricity out/blackout scenario. Most live aboards seem to stow life jackets in lockers, on the very top deck, far out of reach in an immediate emergency, assuming you can get to them before capsizing/sinking, especially on a strange boat with unfamiliar layout in blackout conditions at night.

There are tons of threads here on various survival/safety gear, but I've never seen one on this safety item, so I thought I'd see what other folks thought about the concept ?

It's fine to bring your jacket with you but if the boat sinks you need to try and get one of the PFD's provided by the boat.

The provided vests are most likely a USCG type 1 jacket which is designed to turn and float an unconscious person face up in the water. Your inflatable is probably a type 3 which is not designed to do that although it may.

The other issue with an inflatable is that if it is damaged and deflates you're out of luck. The closed cell foam in commercial life jackets can be punctured or cut abd still provide flotation.

Bring your jacket if you want but in the event of an emergency get into a type one jacket.

Serious question - if you’re so worried about a liveaboard’s life jacket offerings that you’ve bought your own, why are you even going on the boat in the first place?

I suppose for a similar reason that those in the PLB thread are getting prepared.

@scubafanatic, well, you own it now. Why not take it, regardless what anyone else says. Sure the life jackets on liveaboards are more often in your room but if a person is sleeping and the boat is going down fast, you could throw it on and grab the lob's, as well. Then if somehow you lose theirs or you have to climb through a hole or something, you still have a lifevest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom